"Created": Are we artificial life forms?

by cameo-d 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

If we are created beings and not a product of a natural evolution of something....and since we are told that we are created beings.....

does this make us an artificial life form?

And what exactly would an artificial life form be intended for by its creator?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    And what exactly would an artificial life form be intended for by its creator?

The Creator's pleasure.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Yes, we are "meatbots" and we are programmed from the start. Occasionally a meatbot goes defective and starts to deprogram and then self program. It is very rare though.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Based on the most common usage of the word "artificial," I would say no.

Main Entry:
    ar·ti·fi·cial           Listen to the pronunciation of artificial
    Pronunciation:
    \ ? är-t?- ' fi-sh ? l\
    Function:
    adjective
    Date:
    14th century
    1 : humanly contrived often on a natural model :man-made <an artificial limb> <artificial diamonds> 2 a : having existence in legal, economic, or political theory b : caused or produced by a human and especially social or political agency <an artificial price advantage> <artificial barriers of discrimination — R. C. Weaver> 3 obsolete :artful , cunning 4 a : lacking in natural or spontaneous quality <an artificial smile> <an artificial excitement> b :imitation , sham <artificial flavor> 5 : based on differential morphological characters not necessarily indicative of natural relationships <an artificial key for plant identification>
  • SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    Yes, we are "meatbots" and we are programmed from the start. Occasionally a meatbot goes defective and starts to deprogram and then self program. It is very rare though.

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle." 500 points for the where the quote comes from.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Define "artificial."

BTS

• Caedes
    Caedes

The game of semantics begin.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Define "artificial."

Artificial.... a creation that is a different life form from its creator. A substance that can be manipulated. A thing that is "put together" and made as opposed to something that naturally evolves from something already existing. Such as...mold that evolves and grows from a substance that already exists.

We are made "in the image" of our creators....but not of the same substance; nor are we "produced" by any natural means from our creators such as a genetic birth.

I can make something in my image, too. It could be made of clay or wood. I can put strings on it and "give it life" by animation. Your wireless equipment has a form of life, too. A less intelligent civilization would consider it to be a life form. Can you imagine how an Amazon tribe would view an interactive laptop screen?

Artificial creation is something produced by a superior intelligence.

We have an electromagnetic energy field. We have cerebral electric waves. Our energy source is not infinite. Nor is there any definite proof that we transform or continue in another form once we expire.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Merriam Webster:

1 : humanly contrived often on a natural model :man-made

BTS

• Caedes
    Caedes

artificial

adjective1 made as a copy of something natural. 2 contrived or affected.

— DERIVATIVES artificiality noun artificially adverb .

— ORIGIN from Latin artificium, from ars ‘art’ + facere ‘make’.

From the Oxford English Dictionary.

It seems to me that humans (and indeed the entire universe) as a creation would have to fall into definition 1 (if one were a theist.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit