I wonder why do the "society" not call themselves "The Way"?

by Kosonen 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

There are several places in Acts saying that christians in the first centry called their form of worship The Way. A very good name, the right way of living, found in the teachings of the apostles, and of Lord Jesus Christ.

Is there on earth a religion calling them selves The Way like in the first centry?

And what about calling your self christian? It is connected to Christ. Christ is the same as Messiah, what does it mean? I think many of you know it means Anointed One. So should christians be anointed? And if you are not anointed can you call yourself christian? And what about Jehovah´s witnesses who mostly are not anointed, can they say that they are christians?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There's another group called the way. Probably a cult too.

http://www.theway.org/

W

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It's funny you should mention that. When I first started going to the KH I could have sworn some referred to it as the way. But many here have said no way. And none of the research I did showed they ever used that name...

Snoozy..

• caliber
    caliber

I am the Way," replied Jesus, "and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

14:6 To the question concerning the way, he answers, I am the way. To the question concerning knowledge, he answers, I am the truth. To the question whither, I am the life. The first is treated of in this verse ; the second, Joh 14:7 - 17; the third, 14:18, and c.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

Cal

• oompa
    oompa

letters from the society are now headed, signed, and announced as being from "the christian congregation of jehovahs witnesses"...im not sure when they started doing that, but I believe it used to be from The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society....or maybe something else............oompa

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    And what about calling your self christian? It is connected to Christ. Christ is the same as Messiah, what does it mean? I think many of you know it means Anointed One. So should christians be anointed?

We need to remember that the Jehovah's Witnesses organization is a hybrid religion. It is a patch-work of first century Judaism (complete with it's own Talmud); nineteenth century Adventism (borrowing their doctrines and chronology); and twentieth century multi-level marketing (a "fabulous" product that you "better get while supplies last").

When we see the Watchtower organization in this fashion, we can understand them much better. In an effort to compete in the arena of "end times" ideas, C.T. Russell adopted Adventist chronology and built up a movement around that; similar to an inventor who takes an existing product and makes millions of dollars by making minor changes to it.

In an effort to retain centralized control of this movement, the "Judge" began emphasizing Old Testament prophecy and drawing parallels between Moses and the modern day organization. This is where the legalistic / Talmudic mode of operation crept into the movement.

Then, Knorr focussed on streamlining this operation and exapansion. Knorr ran the organization like a Fortune 500 corporation that was trying to out compete other churches. The organization began to "market" it's literature to the public, and the individual members began to behave more and more like sales representatives.

We really not need focus too much on Watchtower doctrines in order to understand the movement and it's thinking. We really just need to look at the big picture and see the various aspects of the movement as a whole to understand why they must cling to various doctrines.

It really comes down to the organization's purpose for existing. If all Christians were indeed "annointed", what need would there have been for a "Slave Class" using an organization? And what mechanisms must the leadership put into place in order to maintain this illusion among their ranks? These very basic questions go a long way in explaining Watchtower thinking.

• mustang
    mustang

The Asian Taoist philosophy is sometimes referred to as "The Way".

Mustang

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My son said exactly the same thing.

I pointed out that "The Way" was a high control cult already.

Cheers

Chris

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Might be that the JWS want to focus themselves more on to God rather than the second in command his son, they

probably see doing something like that as being disregardful to the real power , and you know how revengeful god gets when you disrespect his will and purpose !

Isn't god's decision on who gets whacked or not at Armageddon anyways ?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I've often thought that would be more accurate for dubs to use the expression "the way" rather than "the truth". Imagine the conversations...

Sis. Busybody: "Did you hear that Hugh is now in the way?"

Sis. Nosey: "Wow, you mean the husband of Sister Jass? She's been in the way for many years now."

Sis Busybody: "Yes, now they are together in the way. Hugh Jass and Mrs. Hugh Jass, both are in the way all the time."

Sis. Nosey: "I also heard that Billy the ex-Bethelite is out of the way."

Sis. Busybody: "It was the elders. They put Billy out of the way."

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit