How's this for irony? This week's book study lesson

by sir82 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

The irony is, that they discourage relationships with people of the 'world'. They also discourage getting a good education and having a career, thereby producing a large number of people who lack skills and drive - these ones are often attracted to multi level marketing businesses in the hope of getting rich quick with the minimum of qualification and skill but whose customers are mainly their fellow dubs. Then they get dealt the guilt card with articles like this. Talk about setting people up to fail and/or feel guilty whatever they do!!!

They make my temperature rise......

That is an excellent point!

It sounds like you are describing my dad, he lost all of his money in these multi level businesses, of course he was recruited by other JW.

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

I belive businesses like these are the target of the book study lesson.

http://ruizleather.com/index.htm

http://www.mjcmjc.com/index.php

http://www.jpproductions.com/shop/index.php?cPath=34

The last page even got a "Adjustments for Revelation Book" product.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Exactly Sweetpea!

My ex was always attracted to these marketing schemes and was always trying to sell things to the friends... I found it quite distasteful... how can you view your friends as merely potential customers for the latest health care product?

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I belive businesses like these are the target of the book study lesson

I believe the point being made is not what kinds of businesses the WT book material refers... it's that the average dub can read a duplicitous statement (see original quote) in the literature and not connect the dots.

Having held some positions of responsibility at the circuit level, I assure you we counted all the money and set financial goals. It was all very business like. Business and financial acumen is highly prized by the dub organization. In fact, this is precisely why there is an unwritten organizational hands-off policy towards financially successful dubs who make large donations.

At one time i'd have vehemently denied there was a profit motive in the WTBTS organization. But looking back, and being honest with myself, it's clear that this is a book-printing-and-publishing business operating under religious protection. What's unique about it is, cash flow is viewed as a tool to maintain operations; the real profits in dubdom are measured in prestige, power and position.

• IMHO
  • IMHO
    IMHO

Don't forget the ripoff merchants who run www.meander.co.uk Check out the extortionate prices they charge. And as for the British Museum tours (that are used by the branch). The British Museum is free to visit yet they have a compulsory donation included in their price. They use brothers to conduct the tours (elders and pioneers) who do it for free yet expect donations (and count the time as service) and they still expect you to pay for the privilege as well. And of course you have to dress as you would if you were going to a meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit