any problems with this 607 response from Elder PO

by besty 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty

Back in May 2007 I got this response from my brother who later acted as chief witness for the prosecution at our kangaroo court. In fact he travelled 1000 miles round trip to do so. He was motivated :-)

Anyway prior to that I had mentioned to him the issues we had one of which was the overwhelming secular evidence for 587.

This is his response:

The date 607 BCE for the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians is arrived at from within Scripture itself. That the exiled Jews would spend 70 years in Babylon was prophesied in many places – 2 Chronicles 36:21; Jeremiah 25:11; Jeremiah 29:10; Daniel 9:2. 539 BCE is a pivotal date – both Scriptural chronology and secular history point to 539 BCE as the date for the fall of Babylon. Scripture then shows that the Jews returned to Judea in 537 BCE. We give primacy to the scriptures that the exile was 70 years, thus the destruction of Jerusalem must have been in 607 BCE. So, when deciding when we think Jerusalem was destroyed, we can either accept the Scriptural chronology (with 1914 following from this evidenced by dramatic and irrevocable change in the world situation i.e. “the last days”) or go with uncertain secular sources of evidence which are often subject to change, revision and new archaeological discoveries. The Scriptures will never change that the exile would be 70 years and everyone agrees with 539 BCE for the fall of Babylon, and 537 BCE as the date of the return from exile.
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

two words ---- CIRCULAR REASONING

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

As to the supposed Scriptural support for 607 BCE. I received this file from a friend in Australia who had received it from a 7th Day Adventist pastor there. It appears to give a good analysis as to what the Bible really says about the "70 years." I'm not Adventist myself and the little bit that Adventism is mentioned in this paper can be ignored. What I'm pointing out is the analysis of the JW argument. The file can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dudyvl

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

For one thing there is no chronology in the bible at all.

539 bce is derived from secular history and nowhere in the bible does it use 539 bce.

there are no dates in the bible at all.

So if you support 539 bce you have to support 586/587 bce because the dates are from the same source.

Once again the society taking what they want to support there doctrines.

IF YOU TAKE ONE YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THE OTHER, THER IS NO CHERRY PICKING!

Tell him to name the Scholars he gets his dates from i can guarantee you there all from the Watchtower.

Correct me where i'm wrong but i want truth and facts and not lies and bullshit!

• besty
    besty

It might be fun to find a logical fallacy or factual error in every sentence.

I will start the ball rolling with the first sentence - feel free to comment on any sentence you wish and we can aggregate the answers later.

The date 607 BCE for the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians is arrived at from within Scripture itself.

This is impossible as the Bible does not use our modern dating system. Although the Bible does contain an internal chronology, this must somehow be fixed in the stream of time to modern historical dates. This initial sentence implies no reference will be made to external (secular) sources and thus indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of chronological dating methodology on the part of the author.

• inkling
    inkling

It must be 607 becuase otherwise the bible is wrong...

and we know that bible is not wrong...

becuase the bible says so.

[inkling]

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

I thought i heard they believed 606 bce for 60 years before they figured out they were wrong,lol.

I saw the date 606 bce in some of the old books.

they sure were experts as you can tell, only took them 60 years to figure out they were wrong.

I can't even convince my wife, she is so brainwashed and not open to anything.

The date is meaningless. It all comes down to there addiction to dating shit and predicting the end of the world.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Can I play, too?

we can either accept the Scriptural chronology (with 1914 following from this evidenced by dramatic and irrevocable change in the world situation i.e. “the last days”) ...

The change was so dramatic that they continued to trumpet the year 1799 as the beginning of the last days until at least 1927...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Number1Anarchist....Exactly, neither the date of the destruction of Jerusalem nor the return from Exile is in the Bible. One could just as well adopt 587 as the date of Jerusalem's fall, adopt the JW interpretation of the 70 years, and count forward 70 years to arrive at 517 as the year of the return from Exile (following 519 as the year of Babylon's fall). This reckoning would be perfectly consistent with the JW belief about the 70 years and maintain 587 as the year of Jerusalem's fall. Of course, the error lies with the interpretation, but this exercise shows that nonetheless there is no inherent conflict with 587 and the interpretation of the 70 years as the length of the exile following Jerusalem's fall.

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

Thx Leolaia !

Even the way his brother writes his email is quoteing the stance of the Watchtower, when they say we trust the chronology of the bible when there is none.

This is all regurgitated BS from the Hierarchy and what they say goes.

Absoluteley rediculous!

Thx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit