What is happiness?

by Hope4Others 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

What is happiness? Peace, serenity, music to calm the soul.

Happiness can mean different things to different people. For example, for one person, it may mean being in a relationship, whereas for someone else it may mean feeling you have the ability to handle whatever life throws at you.

While you might think that there are certain things that make you happy (or could make you happy if you had them), research has shown that there are certain common traits amongst happy people - and it isn't necessarily what you might have thought.

What distinguishes happy people, is that they have a different attitude - a different way of thinking about things and doing things. They interpret the world in a different way, and go about their lives in a different way.

But Does Aiming to be Happy Mean You Can't be Sad?

Not at all. In fact, going through times where you're sad can sometimes make that happiness all the brighter.

Sadness is a part of life, and sometimes it's even possible to feel happy and sad about something. For example, you might be happy to move out of home, but sad that you won't see the family, or your family dog, as much any more.

You might even wonder whether it's possible, or OK to be happy, when there is so much suffering and injustice in the world. Happiness is natural, and it is possible to be compassionate and caring, and in tune with the sadness of the world, while still experiencing happiness in your life. This awareness might even prompt you to act in a way to help improve the situation of others - an action which may actually increase your happiness.

Happiness is man's greatest aim in life. Tranquility and rationality are the cornerstones of happiness.

Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching
    for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.

Happiness comes only from appreciating what you have right now. You can even be happy by appreciating your troubles because they are helping to build your character.

Happiness is what you feel when you're NOT feeling....

self doubt
    depressed
    hateful
    fearful
    worried
    unsatisfied
    bored
    grief
    shame
    guilt
    discontent
    anxious
    annoyed
    angry
    irritated
    stressed
    frustrated
    upset
    down
    sad
    envious
    or
    jealous.

Whew! That’s a long list!

Guess I fall into the bored category once in awhile.....

Dr. Wayne Dyer When you change the way you look at things.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQPraeeY0w So what makes you happy..... H40

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Cold Beer in the fridge,at the end of a hard day..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    What distinguishes happy people, is that they have a different attitude - a different way of thinking about things and doing things. They interpret the world in a different way, and go about their lives in a different way.

They also have enough neurotransmitters. It has been found that some families don't have the same ability, genetically, to build neurotransmitters from the raw materials from diet.

What would make me happier? To have all my kids, grandkids and family healthy, happier and in good circumstances, hopefully closer to me. And to have finished a degree and be in a career I am suited for, using my talents. And to have the best health possible. To have good friends, close enough by to visit with regularly. To live in a good area with access to the arts community.

Since I don't have many of these things, I try to have a spirituality that is strong. I try to be content with what I have and appreciate all the small things. I try to encourage and uplift people I know. I just want to make each day the best it can be.

Healthy people feel all ranges of emotion. It is rare to find a person who is always happy.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Cheers then!

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

Happiness is what you make of it. I am happy to do things together with my Husband and my Family.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

4 dictionary results for: happiness Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

hap·pi·ness

/ 'hæpaltialtn?s /Show Spelled Pronunciation [ hap -ee-nis ]Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1.the quality or state of being happy.
    2.good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.

Origin:
    1520–30; happy + -ness alt
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Happiness is a do it yourself experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit