Dodgy WT articles in the 70s???

by Amha·’aret 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Recently an elder called to see me and Gladring - more social than scriptural meaning we had a "chat" but he wasn't being overly preachy.
    Anyway, a bit in to the conversation he said something about cleansing of the org and about Ray Franz in the 70s. Then he said something about some WT articles from that time weren't right yet got published, like as if Ray or his "apostate" cronies ran their own agendas thru them or something.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? I have no idea what articles he is talking about as his comment surprised me enough that I didn't ask for further clarification.

Btw, this same elder also said he felt that the 144,000 number was off as he reckons there were far more than that amount called between 33CE and now. Pretty open-minded for an elder I thought.

Am

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

I think he is using a tactic on you.

To comfort you into thinking you're not the only one who disagrees with certain doctrines by the Watchtower, even an active Elder.

This guy would not be an Elder if he was saying these things openly.

That shows his lack of faith in the Faithful and discreet slavebugger!

You need to get him and another Elder together and at that moment, have him clarify with a witness, what he was saying about the 144,000.

Which will never happen, but if you got the balls go for it.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Yes I heard the same when I was in Gilead.. they even told us about the articles in question...

• a 1976 WT that discusses Sacred Service and downplys preaching (written by Ray Franz)...
    • Choosing the Best Way of Life
    • Commentary on James (we were told that this was apostate since it didnt promote preaching even tho it was about works...)

Ray Franz's 2 books give more details on the thinking behing these pubs...

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Hi Lance,

I've got Ray's books so I'll have a look.

Thanks for the references. Can't say I'm bothered reading all of the James book but I'll look up the others.

Thanks,

Am

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I know his son-in-law quite well and he reckons that this elder is open and honest, at least more so than most.

You're right it would be interesting to call him on it though. Gladring did that to an elder once in front of the CO. Was so funny to see him backtrack as fast as he did. Lost all faith in that guy that day. . .

Am

• blondie
    blondie

This information went around the organization like a bad rumor; never anything I saw in print. As my jw aunt says, if it ain't in print in a WT publication, it ain't official no matter who says it, GB member, DO/CO, elder, or Bethelite.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Good point, Blondie. But don't you think this is just another game of theirs? Rumours circulate, from whatever source, but they can deny the accuracy if they like coz it was never in writing. They have it both ways, don't they?! Grrr...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Then he said something about some WT articles from that time weren't right yet got published, like as if Ray or his "apostate" cronies ran their own agendas thru them or something.

If the notion that the 144,000 is a literal number is dodgey, who is writing the articles, and how come they are getting published?

Cheers

Chris

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Then he said something about some WT articles from that time weren't right yet got published

Still happens.

WT articles are never right yet still get published.

It's the reason for New

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles
    Btw, this same elder also said he felt that the 144,000 number was off as he reckons there were far more than that amount called between 33CE and now. Pretty open-minded for an elder I thought.

He is the kind of elder that the rest of the elders are watching! Elders can not go against the 144,000 doctrine!

Where do you stand as far as his visit to you? Do you want them to visit and why? What are you gaining from this elder? friendship? perhaps you need to learn to seek that some place else. I really do think this elder is sneaky and he has only one motive, and that is to keep the congregation clean. You said that you know his son-in-law, sounds like someone is talking about you.

Also, he is not much of a trust worthy elder if he is trying to help you out, yet he leaves you feeling confused to one of the main doctrines of the WTBTS. It really is unfair to you! and he is not being honest with himself.

Really now do you want to sit around sharing WTBTS crap with a disgrunted elder who would probably turn on you like a pit bull!

a bit in to the conversation he said something about cleansing of the org

Okay there is his motive. Perhaps I am not understanding something! Did you call him with questions? Did you make a statement to anyone about Franz publications? Did you ask him over to your house? and was he with another elder?

It really does not matter what this elders states, because what matters is that YOU are true to yourself and what you think about the WTBTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit