Pioneering

by ItsJustMe 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

These posts have really made me think. I was a true believer from my early years, and between regular and auxilary, have probably at least 12 years of pioneering under my belt. I pioneered for about 7 years as an elder with three young kids.

Yeah - I was really into it. Even taught several pioneer schools, believe it or not.

What did I think about it? I really enjoyed being with the friends. I got to know the congregation very well. Enjoyed being with everybody, especially the kids. But I did not especially like the house to house work, as I saw it as basically an arrogant, condescending activity, even though I was very good at it. My heart was seldom in it, and less so as I saw what a waste of time and energy it was. In my last year or so I found myself literally going months without talking to someone at the door.

I can remember the relief I always felt when we headed for break or for home. I realize now that I was totally making myself do this. It was not done for the joy of the work. At least two years before I left the Witnesses I decided I simply couldn't go h-to-h anymore. It was when they changed that statement in the purpose of the Awake! - 1994 I think. I felt we needed to start going to people and apologizing for lying for the previous 70 years!

I think now about where I would be in some ways if I'd put the energy I gave to pioneering into some of the other things I've wanted to do with my life. I don't cry about it - nothing can be changed. But it was such a huge waste in so many ways. The friendships and the people I may have helped in some ways during those years - no regrets there.

S4

• joelbear
    joelbear

Seeker,

Whenever I start kicking myself for not doing other things, I remember the friendships and the good times. We had a blast in our pioneering days. Laughed til I was sick most days. We had a really nutty group (How else could it have been with me in it).

I'll have to tell yall the rat blood story one day. I'll never forget that day. LOL

Joel

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I never became a pioneer, but desperately wanted to be one when I was in. In fact, an essay I wrote for my freshman English midterm in high school was about what I wanted to be when I grew up - a missionary.

When I was 12 and 13 I would pack my meeting clothes in a back pack and bike the 4 miles (up hill, both ways) to the Hall and go out in service all summer. I loved talking to people at the doors and loved return visits. When I was 14 I visited the Watchtower Farms and absolutely fell in love with it. I can still vividly remember the tour I took.

By the time I was a sophmore in high school I started to stray, and by the time I came back when I was 20 I was an unwed mom and had to work to support my son. But I desparately still wanted to pioneer.

As an adult, the more pioneers I got to know the less I wanted to pioneer. I meet several that were actually zealous and loved the work, but I met even more that seemed to be in it for the pretigue it seem to have in our congregation. It made me sick!

I just finished reading Crisis of Conscience. What impresses me the most about that book is Ray Franz's LACK of bitterness. He doesn't get caught up in the past and neither should we. Hindsight is 20/20.

• Valis
    Valis

I wasted several good summers of my youth pioneering. I recall most of it being pressure from my parents and one of the more outspoken and very alchoholic elders. It was probably my least favorite teenage memories, especially when you run into your friends at the door on Saturday morning. Not to mention having to peddle Watchtowers to the disinterested in the hateful Texas heat.I'm very glad to be far away from that world now.

• Xena
    Xena

Pioneering...what memories..lol good and bad! I mainly pioneered because it was what everyone wanted me to do. I wanted to be a good witness and make my family proud.

I got a part-time job right out of high school and started to pioneer..I found I was enjoying my job a lot more than my pioneering..lol I then bought a car that I couldn't afford working part-time (don't think I didn't plan that!) uuummm Camero..I was sssooo cool...anyway quit pioneering to work full time and within a few months had fallen away for the 1st time...

After I came back into the org and got married I tried pioneering again...several times...I hated to door to door work..lol I would feel so bad waking people up on Sat. mornings! They wanted to see me about as much as I wanted to be there!!!

Used to love the early morning service when we would just drive around to convenience stores and ask the clerks as we were buying coffee if they wanted a mag to read while they were working...lol got many an hour in that way! BTW I ALWAYS lied about my hours...don't think I ever actually got all my time in..oh well

And yes I avoided some people like the plague...lol you would drive past and see that their car was the ONLY one there...and go uuummm anyone have any return visits we can go do????

Hey Valis what part of Texas are you from??? I am in Austin..and also remember "fondly" going out in service on those LONG HOT AUGUST days!

• Valis
    Valis

Dallas actually. I seem to recall spending several lovely visits in Round Rock "pioneering". Pioneering with the blonde rich JW girls anyway...hehehe

• Xena
    Xena

hhhmmm used to go to the Round Rock KH myself...

Why are all the ex JW's in Dallas????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit