No Handouts for me, Buddy!

by littletree 6 Replies latest jw friends

• littletree
    littletree

I just wanted to respond to someone on this forum (I think his name was "still-fading") who made the comment in one of the threads that "Obama will win... the popular vote, due to fact that the people on the receiving end of hand outs outnumber the people paying into the system". Here is my comment: FALSE, FALSE, FALSE. I have not voted before, until yesterday, and I'm not normally political. But if anyone truly believes that Obama won the US Presidential election yesterday only because of the vote and support of social service recipients and poor people, then they are TRULY misguided. I am not affiliated with either the Republican or Democratic party, but I was so impressed with the DIVERSITY of the people who came out to support Obama and Biden- young, old, black, white, hispanic, poor, middle-class, wealthy, gay, straight, big city, small town, you-name-it! I love that about America. I especially love it because I am an African-American woman married to a man who is part German and Irish and part Thai. When we have kids, I want them to be respected by and show respect for people based on their character, not on what they look like or because of their socio-economic status. And I don't want anyone to assume that because of the melanin in their skin that my kids will ever want or need a handout. Diversity should bring out the best in all of us! And as far the the handouts, no one in my hard-working African-American family has ever taken them. My mother is a mechanical engineer, my older sister is a lawyer, my younger sister is a teacher, and I am an IT worker; we all put ourselves through state universities by working and getting student loans (mine is paid-off in full!). There are MORE people like us in this country and world than those who just want a "handout". FOr goodness sakes, have faith in your fellow man!!! Most people work a 9-5 job, even two of them, to support themselves and their families. And for those that HAVE had to receive help from the government because they went through a rough time and may need some help getting back on their feet, they deserve respect also. Each of us are different, but we all want the same things- peace, health, a little wealth, and happiness for ourselves and our families. I just wish that everyone would STOP all of the racism, classism, divisiveness, ignorance, "left" vs. "right" mentality, and hate, and try to put themselves in someone else's shoes for a change. Sorry for getting on my soapbox, but I just can't believe how ignorant and mislead some people are.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I take it that you are not a member of Wall Street?

• littletree
    littletree

hahaha... No, I won't be getting my share of the $700 billion dollar bailout (or is it more now?) But I did have the privilege of watching my retirement savings lose a big chunk of the little that was in there. But on the bright side, I'm required to work another 30 or so more years anyway, so I've got time to build it up and lose it over and over again during the next economic bust! Isn't that great (said sarcasticly).

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Amen, Littletree!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Stupidity can be painful.

There were enough stupid republicans that felt the pain of the last 8 years yesterday

to vote democrat.

Thats the way life works when you have a pain or something bugging you, you do something about it.

Pschology 101.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Every one who voted for Obama had their reason, so it does not all distill into one simple reason. One common thing that may have tipped the balance was how it became so obvious how deeply republicans hate and loathe America. This deep seated hatred probably drove the systematic strip mining of American wealth and infrastructure. Republicans were able to strike out at America and cause harm while at the same time personally enriching themselves. This appeared to be an irresistable combination that was hard for them to pass up. Enough people finally caught on that their promises to cut back government were blatant lies as they grew government to be larger than it ever was before, as well as more intrusive in the daily affairs of average Americans. So they voted against that. I can not say that Obama will reverse that trend, or even slow it down, but he created the perception that he would. Most importantly, he is not a republican and it will likely be a generation before the memory of republican malfeasance will die down enough to allow one to sit in the white house.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There are some nice Republicans. Mostly they are dead though. I bought a magnet just like this one when I was in Mystic Seaport a few years back.

I have it proudly displayed on my microwave oven, right next to my Beatles Let it Be, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and my Jesus magnet that says, I spoke to Dad and you're going straight to hell...magnet: have a sense of humor. It'll do you good. Just like chicken soup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit