Three hours in line just to get an absentee ballot!

by LovesDubs 9 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

Wow lovesdubs..

I walked in to the village hall and it was just me and another woman to get an absentee ballot. Took some time to fill out the paper work, but not bad. Though this town is small... I wanted to avoid the long lines and wait tomorrow.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

108 seconds per person.

Not too bad.

*smile*

If you need any help with the top part, just PM me.

Obama-Biden '08. No McSame, because it's already too late.

• Gopher
    Gopher

America got rid of poll taxes because they favored the wealthier voters. Poll taxes threaten the right to vote.

Making people stand in very long lines to cast a vote is a form of a poll tax. Some people cannot afford a whole day away from their job (although some employers do pay you for a couple of hours to go vote, sometimes that just isn't enough). Some would have to pay a day care while you go stand in line to vote.

There must be a better way to allow more to participate in America's elections without causing such colossal inconvenience.

Perhaps the federal law should allow a weeklong voting period, instead of cramming everybody into Tuesday -- how archaic is that? Tuesday was picked as election day in America because the nineteenth-century folks didn't want to vote on the Sabbath, and it took a couple days by horse-and-buggy to ride in to the polling station back then.

With the increase in population since then and in the increase in available technology, there MUST be a better way.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

God gopher youd think so wouldnt ya? Im appalled at how archaic the system is! And there was a woman in charge of the line who treated us all like 2nd graders.

• LDH
    LDH

It took me less than five minutes to park the car, feed the meter, walk inside (directly in front of my car) and get two absentee ballots.

One odd thing though, the last day to request an absentee ballot from Fresno County is October 28th, how come so late where you live?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    There must be a better way to allow more to participate in America's elections without causing such colossal inconvenience.

Mail-in Absentee Ballots can help. Seems there should be a way to do this online, shouldn't there?

Three hours in line is absurd. Interesting correlation to a 'poll tax'. I was surprised at how stingent it was to get a ballot, too. But, still, mine came through the mail and I submitted my ballot on Saturday.

-Aude.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I live in Florida.

You need to contact the supervisor of elections that you want an absentee ballot and they will send it out to you 2 months before the election.

Florida also has early voting for 3 or 4 weeks before the election with no lines.

If you wait till the last minute you wait in line.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Florida also has early voting for 3 or 4 weeks before the election with no lines.

I live in probably the reddest county in Florida and had to wait 2 hours to vote. The line was way out into the sidewalk.

I voted 10/20.

BTS

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Just got back from voting. No wait. I was in and out of there in a few minutes...just 2 people in line ahead of me. It helps that I live in the smallest suburban town in Massachusetts (just 4 square miles)

Coffee

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

"And there was a woman in charge of the line who treated us all like 2nd graders."

From what I have seen and experienced, IN GENERAL, the type of person who enjoys working the election board is THAT type of person. I will just leave it at that.

-----

The absentee balloting is available 7 days a week where I am at. It is really the way to go if you have any doubt about your time commitment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit