I'm expecting a return visit tomorrow. A little help?

by FreeWilly 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Hi everyone. So some nice JW ladies stopped by and left the "Truth" pamphlet. I told then that I wasn't a big fan of the Bible since it was very divisive. As an example I told them that my folks became JW's and it devestated our family. Of course they were quick to say that some individuals take things too far (as if it were not an organization problem, but an isolated problem with my folks).

So I was wondering if I could get a little help with some of the Watchtowers and Kingdom ministries that caution against associating with 1) non JW family, 2) inactive JW family, and 3) DF'd JW family.

I don't have the Watchtower Library CD anymore so it's hard for me to gather this from here. I have a feeling they will drop by again tomorrow so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

-FW

PS I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out too:)

• yknot
    yknot

Well here download a copy Brinjen made of the 2007 WT CD!

http://www.4shared.com/file/49901604/dc7b475a/Watchtower_Library_2007-Cd_Contents.html

Well this years release "Keep Yourselves in God's Love" it is a defacto rule book. It will be studied beginning Feb 23, 2009, and is also the second study book behind the "Bible Teach" publications for all new studies.

http://www.4shared.com/file/62479366/e9ccf7bd/2008_Keep_Yourselves_in_Gods_Love.html

Basically DFd/DAd are Satan's whores, non-jws are an association issue, inactives are up in the air and depending on the inactives lifestyle would fall into DAd by action catagory or an association issue..... if the inactive is willing to be re-captured or has just been 'stumbled' but still recognizes the WT as "God's sole channel' then the are 'weak' but tolerable.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Thanks Yknot,

I missed them today but they left a note. I expect they will be back next monday.

They left a WT with a fluff article that, upon first reading, claims JW's are not necessarily the only ones who will be saved. I'll have a field day with this one.

Thanks

FW

• besty
    besty
    The second situation that we need to consider is that involving a disfellowshiped or disassociated relative who is not in the immediate family circle or living at one's home. Such a person is still related by blood or marriage, and so there may be some limited need to care for necessary family matters. Nonetheless, it is not as if he were living in the same home where contact and conversation could not be avoided. We should keep clearly in mind the Bible's inspired direction: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person . . . , not even eating with such a man."--1 Cor. 5:11. Watchtower, September 15, 1981, pg.29
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Take them to your computer, google 'watchtower'.

Click on the first hit.

Put 'disfellowshipped' into the search box at the top right corner of page.

Click on the first hit.

You will now have the article you are looking for from their own official website.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/19880415/article_01.htm

Cheers

Chris

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Besty... Thank you and welcome.

Black Sheep I'm sure they won't sit for an internet session. I'm looking for JW articles addressing "worldly" family (in adition to DF'd). These were in the Kingdom Ministry's.

It's really interesting to see how they are in full PR mode at the door. They absolutely couldn't acknowledge that they believed only the JW organization qualifies for salvation. Yet I'm certain they'd have no problem at the K-hall.

So does anyone have quotes regarding worldly family ? (I couldn't get the download to work)

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

*** w884/15p.28pars.11-15DisciplineThatCanYieldPeaceableFruit***

14 The situation is different if the disfellowshipped or disassociated one is a relative living outside the immediate family circle and home. It might be possible to have almost no contact at all with the relative. Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum, in line with the divine principle: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person [or guilty of another gross sin], . . . not even eating with such a man."—1 Corinthians 5:11.

Understandably, this may be difficult because of emotions and family ties, such as grandparents’ love for their grandchildren. Yet, this is a test of loyalty to God, as stated by the sister quoted on page 26. Anyone who is feeling the sadness and pain that the disfellowshipped relative has thus caused may find comfort and be encouraged by the example set by some of Korah’s relatives.—Psalm 84:10-12.
  • FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Thanks Doom

How about WORLDLY FAMILY (never baptised). Some quotes regarding association? This is what I've come up with so far, but again, I do not have the WT CD so I can't reproducce the quotes:

ASSOCIATION WITH NON-JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES FAMILY AND FRIENDS: Don't associate with outsiders (non-Jehovah’s Witnesses). You are too busy for that! WT, 2/1/74, p.93.

Remember, you are to have "no association" with non-Jehovah's Witness friends or relatives. If they are honest and moral, that still does not make any difference. Watchtower, 2/15/60, pp.112-113.

ATTENDING WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS of "non-Jehovah’s Witnesses friends and family", allowed but STRONGLY discouraged! Watchtower, 12/15/74, pp.766-767, 3/15/70 12 pp.191-192.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

JW family members may associate freely with non-baptised family members. It becomes a problem only when a family member outside a house-hold becomes dF'd. For that matter, JW family members may freely associate with baptised members who simply "fade" away or simply stop coming to meetings - even going as far as not referring to themselves as a JW. Again, it is only a problem (and a major problem) if a family member is actually announced DF'd or they disassociate themselves. Before you think that just because you see all the negative info is on the web about JW's, check out all the other(ex)members info on all the other religions. You can find negative info like this on any organized religion of substantial size. Make "all things equal" before moving forward with setting your mind one way or the other. Realize there is always two sides to every story, and if perfection is what you are after in a religion, you will not find it. I find it interesting that most of what JW's are criticized for can be found in their own literature with self criticism of those same things (ie Proclaimers book). Also, give contemplation to Jesus' pick of Judas - was that an intentional error, or one allowed to simply go forward. Does God allow errors to go forth from His people as he has done throughout His dealings with Israel. Paul said that you would know God's people by their fruits - not their perfection. Whether or not you think JW's have good fruit or bad, that is only something you can decide. Listen to both sides and make your choice.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Johnny,

I am well aware of the true beliefs of JW's. At the door they will say they don't believe they are the only ones saved. We know the reality though, it's right their in the publications. DO I really need to provide the WT quotes?

JW's may also say, like you, that association with non JW's is just fine - no problem. But you and I are both aware of the realities. "Worldly" people in general are not considered "wholesome association". The Society teaches that the boogie man Satan will even use family members and sway them from the "truth". Too much association with non family is discouraged. I just needed the citations that's all.

JW's are condidtioned to put on two faces. One they wear at the door where they claim they are just another normal reasonable religion. At the KH of course it's a different story. When a new bible study is learning the "truth" they are not told that they will have to withdraw from their family. Yet that is what eventually is expected. In fact it's designed into the program. No Festivities, no birthdays, no Thanksgiving. There is no time for association outside the KH with meetings, assemblies, conventions, service, family study, personal study and on and on.

If you are trying to claim that becoming a JW does NOT wreck a family I'd have to tell you that you should either come to grips with the realities of JW life - namely that you trade your real, non JW family for a sanctioned surrogate "family" found at the local KH - or change you beliefs. Own it. If it's too uncomfortable to admit the reality of your religion you have a problem that won't be fixed by rephrasing it in the best light possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit