A Bittersweet Day

by TR 8 Replies latest social physical

• TR
    TR

Last week I sold my beloved 1996 Husaberg FE 501 to a guy in Virginia, over 3000 miles from where I live. He saw the ad I placed on the internet. Today I took the bike to the shipper to be loaded and sent back east. I feel a special kinship with the Swedish Bike, since I have many relatives in Sweden. I feel somewhat remorseful for selling,but alas, I can't ride the bike to it's full potential. It's like having an indy racer that you can't race.

The dude that bought it is younger and more able to use it's awesome
    power, a power second only to the 600 model. Stock, it puts out nearly 60 horsepower, and weighs 240 pounds. The newest models are even lighter.

Good-bye sweet 'berg, I shall miss thee!

Last Spring I bought a new Kawasaki KDX 220R and next spring I will purchase either a Kawasaki Concours or a Harley-Davidson Custom Sportster 1200, I'm not sure which, yet. My wife already has her leathers!

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• FideiDefensor
    FideiDefensor

Go for a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. That is what I ride. Most of my friends have Harleys so of course they give me a hard time about having a 'Jap' bike. It's fun to line them all up at the local meat market and hang out with the buds. Everyone stays clear of a bunch of leather clad low-lifes. Except for the women of course. They always want a ride. hehe. Funny thing is, alot of the Japanese bikes are %100 made in America. Harley parts are mostly Japanese made. I just tell them: "All I can say is I've got twice the bike at half the money". If you want a Harley get a Heritage or at least a DynaGlide. The Sportster will feel too small after awhile.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Or get one of these ...

<removed for bandwidth>

• TR
    TR

Hey Fidei,

The Vulcan was actually a bike I was looking at also. The dealer has 1 '01 model that I could get for less than 9K. A deal, considering new ones are almost 11K.

TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

• TR
    TR

Name,

The Concours I'm looking at is sort of a Ninja with a full fairing and saddle bags. I'm thinking of going with the sport/touring style because I think it will be easier on my back than a cruiser style.

TR

• TR
    TR

BTW, you dudes,

When I get the bike, we should try to meet somehow.

TR

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

When I'm not making sparks I like to ride the dirt too - mostly trail riding not moto-cross as I ride a 4 stroker <insert lame joke here> That Husaberg sounds like a REALLY sweet machine.

I don't ride on the street too much anymore as the mini-van moms are crazy! So mostly trail and track. But I think you'd enjoy a sport touring style bike, more fun and all the comfort. Crusiers tend to hurt my back after a while.

• LB
    LB

I've spent many days on a motorcycle from dirt bikes to touring bikes and just about everything in between. But at this time of the year we plug in the battery saver and dream about spring.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Ah, but that's the beauty of riding in the dirt - you can do so even when it's quite cold out - so while the street bikes are napping on the battery tender the dirt bike's out getting dirty!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit