Blatant hypocrisy!!

by mind my own 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• mind my own
    mind my own

Sooo...I just have to share this with you all.

My Grandmother died very recently and her funeral was last weekend. She was not a JW (smart!) so her funeral was held in her church. My family that are JW's of course came to the church (isn't that a no-no?) and sat thru an hour-and-a-half of prayers and hymns and seemingly had no problem with this...

I left the JW cult over 12 years ago and my JW family would not come to my reception (had a destination wedding and so we had a celebration when we returned) even though it was not in a church and no religeous activities were to take place. They wouldn't come b/c they didn't want to condone my lifestyle in marrying a non-witness (hello! I'M not a witness either!!).

This left me feeling angry and bitter once again at the hypocrisy of it all. I mean I have not ever been DF'd, DA'd or anything of the sort. I faded and I was always respectful of their decisions and asked them to be respectful of mine. They have no problem going to a church and sitting through all the religeous progressions of another religeon but would not come to my reception!!

Thoughts? Please? Thanks!

MMO

• yknot
    yknot

I am sorry......

Your grandmother was never a JW and the funeral is a MOC (but clearly they are displaying 'weakness' by attending)

You on the other hand have 'turned you back' on Jehovah and his organization. I have seen this in my own family too.

JW tough love sucks!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That's crappy and tacky. Funnerals are for the living, not the dead but you're alive and they don't give a kid about your wedding? I know it hurts but it's their lost. I hope you had a beautiful wedding and reception dispite your jw family. Are your inlaws nice?

Josie

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I'm sorry. I know how much it hurts. Some of my family refused to come to my wedding too. It's not right. It's not loving. And it's not fair. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it either. It really was their loss though. I hope some day your relationship with them can be healed.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I think you fail to see the one thing, that people, "even JWs", are individuals. Some chose to attend a funeral, so what? Some chose not to attend when you invited, so what? Isn't it your personal aggression that gived reason for the heading "blatant hypocrisy"? I don't see no hypocrisy in attending a funeral while chossing not to attend something else. There are no "church rules" as to this, and definitely nothing of the sort of "weakness" as someone has described it. People do what they feel like doing, why the critisism?

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

Going to any church for observance of a dead loved one is purely a conscience matter.....as is not going to your wedding......stop feeling sorry for yourself, and justifying your anger. Your relatives showed respect for a dead loved one.....and dis-approval of your decision to marry a non-believer...all in a "church"...ironic aint it?....get on with yer life...Sheesh.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I've seen similar things to what you described in my own large extended family MMO so I know where you're coming from. It's kinda idiotic now that I look back on it all over the years. Some cousins not going to a wedding because it was not a elder being over the wedding discourse. Others not going to a family members funeral because it was in a church and they were strongly encouraged not to go by the congregation elders for the sake of the conscious of others.(in hind site I think it was they were afraid they'd see what they were told about churches was not always the way things were and that demons wouldn't jump down on them)

Its funny how some have commented on here that some decided not to come so big deal. Get over it. I can tell they didn't come from a kingdom hall like the one I attended. There was no personal decision. It was like playing mother may I, or simon says. You basically were expected to clear everything with the elders before being given the all clear to attend anything.

So it was like you have the right to follow your conscious on matters but let us tell you what your bible based conscious better be telling you. It kinda defeated the purpose of certain things being a conscious matter if they going to tell you what to do anyhow. I would go into detail on some of these matters but I know there is some cousins of mine that read this board and would get offended so I will leave it at that and not elaborate so as not to offend them.

Regards,
    StoneWall

• mind my own
    mind my own

One more comment, it wasn't a matter of conscience in my family. I was taught to never set foot inside a church, it was wrong to do so. I can see now that perhaps it is/was a MOC to most, but that is not what I was taught.

MMO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit