Looking for a scripture in the N/T

by jookbeard 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

there is a scripture somewhere where God says " he has prepared a place in heaven for the faithful patriarchs of old Abraham,Isaac,Jacob etc, what scripture is it and how do Dubs explain it? I never encountered it in any debating when I was a Dub, I only used to remind my ex wife of it and she would just ignore me, surely this scripture is one of the most overwhelming counter doctrine pieces of text to disprove the little flock/great crowd in heaven anomaly

• yknot
    yknot

Ummm.... I don't remember the 'ancient worthies' being in heaven, but being resurrected to earth.

I think you are thinking of 1925 when the ancient worthies were suppose to return to earth.....according to the Millions Now Living book.

One scripture often quoted by the society to refute the teaching that the ‘ancient worthies’ went straight to heaven at death."

(Acts2:29-34)29 "Men, brothers, it is allowable to speak with freeness of speech to YOU concerning the family head David, that he both deceased and was buried and his tomb is among us to this day. 30 Therefore, because he was a prophet and knew that God had sworn to him with an oath that he would seat one from the fruitage of his loins upon his throne, 31 he saw beforehand and spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was he forsaken in Ha´des nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God resurrected, of which fact we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore because he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Father, he has poured out this which YOU see and hear. 34 Actually David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand,

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Matt 8:11

11 I tell you, (A) many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven,

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

That's the one Issac, thanks

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

They explain it this way:

the characters are symbolic- Abr is the great Father Jehovah...sacrificing his son Isaac- Jesus...and Jacob symbolizes the Christian cong- 144,000. The WT speaks of this solely as an heavenly setting.

However...the cross ref is Luke 13;28:

"In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out

In this passage the WT does not symbolize and speaks of this as an earthly setting.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Umm , its a rather desperate explanation as the context of the text in Matt gives no reason to believe that the ancient worthies mentioned are either symbolic or a greater this or greater that, but thanks , did you ever have success in using this passage with fellow Dubs?

• yknot
    yknot

Ummm....

Compare: (Luke13:29)29 Furthermore, people will come from eastern parts and western, and from north and south, and will recline at the table in the kingdom of God.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Thanks Ynot because the Kingdom of God can surely be only in heaven

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

no success...I caught my dad off guard and he said it must mean something else. My wife tired to say it is earthly...she didn't know what the 1965 WT that gave the symbolizing explanation gave.

It was a key verse in helping another friend of mine begin to doubt his way out of the org.

Use of this with Luke is a great way to start I would think.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    11 I tell you, (A) many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven,

I believe the jw view is/was: "... kingdom of heaven [as represented on earth ]" .

Somehow they link sovereignty in there to push the agenda of earthly paradise.

Beth-Sarim was built by Rutherford in SanDiego for when those ancient worthies were resurrected to earth.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit