What is your family's favorite Christmas tradition?

by LovesDubs 25 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Thank you! I was not completely at peace with the idea of celebrating christmas for a few reasons. But this New Year's celebration has me looking forward to the holiday season. Plus, my kids are happy to have a day of present giving! I feel bad that I haven't done it before now. I may try to make up for lost time this year.

• yknot
    yknot

My family's tradition is not to celebrate....and we are happy continuing the tradition...

Beyond that though is an explotion of snowman themed decorations, inside and outside!!!!!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow !

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My almond cake.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

LEAST favorite tradition was: Field Service. HATED going in FS on Christmas.

Finally, I got older and smarter and had my own money and went skiing with witness friends.

As far as PRE-jw days, grandma's house for dinner with aunts and uncles and football and cigars (for the men) still have warm memories.

POST-jw days, I'm on my own trying to make my own tradition(s). It's a bit tough but I've been overtly celebrating in my own house for the past 2 years. (Was quietly celebrating at boyfriend's house for 4-5 years.) My dad (DF'd but apologetic) even hung my huge wreath over my fireplace.

I think my tradition is developing into dinner party christmas eve with my ex-jw friend and her children/grandchildren. Christmas morning and afternoon by myself. Christmas dinner with boyfriend.

This year will be different as I am making plans to reunite with 'fleshly' relatives on the east coast. Grandma and Grandpa are gone but their tradition has continued on even without me and my siblings. I wonder if my uncle's house will have the feel of old times at Grandma's???

If it snows, I will be delighted.

-Aude.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Christmas tree decorations, Christmas stockings over the fireplace, and Christmas oldies music. Nothing like seeing the faces of children on Christmas morning!

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I used to put up a beautiful tree in our home every year and just loved it. But now that we have our two boys (both cats), I know they would just dump it over, chew up the ornaments, and have to have a trip to the vet. So we make due with an advent wreath and celebrate at relatives' homes instead.

• watson
    watson

Awwhhhh, it warms my heart to think of all of the holiday traditions in my Fam.

1st: Preparing the lastest presentation for Christmas morn.

2nd: Waking up early Christmas Day, discussing the daily text, then bundling up for the door to door Ministry.

3rd: Knocking on that first door, in eager anticipation of the warm yule tide response.

4th: Catching that first break, but nowhere to find a donut and coffee. Everyone is closed, blast!

5th: Enjoying the leftovers from the "day after Thanksgiving." (Turkey Day for us always happened on November 29th, Friiday)

6th: Feeling guilty for watching and enjoying "Wonderful Life," or "Miracle on 34th Street."

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ohhhh Watson! That sounds like my list!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

awwwww....I love this you guys :) I wanna hear more! I havent got my cards done yet...I always do an end of year newsletter with pics of what we did all year on it. I try to make it funny. I know its been a somber year for a lot of us, but the newsletter is about GOOD stuff!! No poopie heads invited! People always tell me they look forward to getting my "card" the most! :) That will come out like...end of Nov.

• seeking help
    seeking help

driving past others homes, knowing they are having a better time than me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit