Phoenix, AZ What do you think?

by White Dove 19 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I visited Phoenix when I was a kid and fell in love with the hot desert and big city.

I haven't been back since, so I'd like your take on Phoenix now.

I've given up on Houston, TX cuz it doesn't sound as nice as the desert.

• Melody Blankenship
    Melody Blankenship

I think it gets hotter than heck there. I have a niece who lives out there and has called home crying.....said people weren't supposed to live in a place that gets that hot. Just thought I'd give you my opinion. It really is kind of pretty though, but I have just visited.....did not have to live there.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was there when it was 120 F. I don't think people were made to live in wintery weather. Yuck!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Actually 8 or 9 mos of the year is beautiful or at least very nice. To "snow bird" is best. Or during the summer to take a couple vacations to cooler areas (beaches or mountains) to break up the summer. Most everyone has air-conditioning, just about a necessity. But then, we don't have serious earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, long greezing winters. Until recent times, housing has been booming!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Gangs will keep me employed! Yay!

• White Dove
    White Dove

No, I didn't mean that I'll work for gangs! LOL!

Hopefully, there will be a slight demand for criminal justice majors.

• mustang
    mustang

Been there, done that: 116 in the shade the day I got there.

Learned to fly, there. Wonderful for flying: "typically 26 days below minimums" was our saying. "Visibility is 800 miles and improving".

After I left, I heard that Sky Harbor recorded something over 120 degress on the tarmac. They wouldn't let the heavies go out because the temp was off the scale (Air Data Tables; I believe the "Standard Atmosphere" quits there). So they called Boeing and the techs there ran "extrapolations" to bless some chart addendums for takeoff and landing rollouts.

One million people there when I left; I heard today that it is 3 million.

The "Valley of the Sun" is about 100 miles long: I visited one lady in Avondale and another in Apache Junction, opposite ends of the valley. It seemed that girls were outnumbering guys by about 2:1 while I was there.

I left because of the heat.

Mustang

• halcyon
    halcyon

They have black widow spiders there. :( and rattlesnakes.

• mustang
    mustang
    They have black widow spiders there.

OMG, yes!!! We had a mild winter one year that didn't kill them off. The 2nd summer these black golfballs were hanging from the citrus trees!!!

Mustang

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

I grew up a couple hours south of Phoenix, in Tucson. Phoenix is extremely hot during the summer. Can you take 120 degrees? It is so hot you have to take a pot holder to open your car door. Your steering wheel will be so hot, you can't touch it. You can't do anything in that heat. People stay up late and do their errands at night. Hot dry heat may sound nice, but if you have to live in it for any period of time, it can get very tiresome. And don't tell me, "But it's dry heat". Yeah, dry heat all right. Just turn on your oven to 500 degrees, After it's reached 500 degrees, open it and let that heat come out to your face. That's how it will feel when you open your front door in the middle of the summer. Oh and let's talk about how expensive A/C is, because it's always running. 78 degrees in the house and 120 outside keeps it running constantly. Don't forget too, that it doesn't cool down much at night either. It's not much cooler, but at least the sun is down and not beating on you.

Cynthia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit