jw' s who make up their own holidays

by carla 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

It amazes me still that jw's can make up their own holidays that most certainly revolve around people just as birthdays do and they think nothing of it. My goodness! all this 'people worship' going on! They may not do the actual birthday or Christmas but treat anniversaries much the same way as a birthday or Christmas. Yet they think they are better than 'worldly people'. How many jw's have Thanksgiving turkey and claim they are not doing 'Thanksgiving'? and here they are doing the same thing the rest of the country is doing, eat turkey and get together with loved ones. Or they celebrate an identical holiday only do it a day later. Do they not know that even 'worldly people' have to do a holiday a day or week later due to work schedules, etc...? If they were truly pious jw's they would not even buy a turkey anywhere near Thanksgiving (might as well add the entire month of Nov & Dec as many have turkey at Christmas) just like they are not supposed to wear red in the month of Dec lest someone think they are somehow condoning Christmas. I do not understand these jw's or psuedo jw's and how they cannot see that they are really no different than the rest of the world.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

I agree, Carla. When our children were born, it really hit home to me all that we were missing. I became a witness as an adult, so I knew how things were supposed to be. I tried to be like the other JW's and make special family days, etc, but they always felt flat and fake, and I would feel so low about it. I regret that I don't have any Baby's 1st Christmas pictures, christening, etc. like my folks had for us. I especially hate that the last few years of my grandparents' lives were spent heartbroken and bewildered because I wouldn't celebrate with them anymore, even though they had been with me through thick and thin. Thank goodness we are out now, and my kids have a normal life. But I still tear up that I can't go back and undo some things.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hey carla,

My family did this all the time....celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday instead of Thursday, Wedding anniversarys were always loaded with huge presents. I can remember my dad bringing in a dishwasher in the 70's.....a gift from the gods as far as me and my mom were concerened.

I'll never forget washing dishes for hours after dinner,needing to do home work or get ready for some JW meeting. We would stand in front of that damn sink for hours after dinner.

We never celebrated birthdays, or any holidays,but after christmas, when my dad had received his yearly bonus, we would go to the toy store and he would treat us like a he was Santa Claus. I'll never forget my father for that.

r.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Guilty as charged. We always made a very big deal out of our anniversary (actually we all thought it was kind of fun). And the kids always got a bunch of stuff right after Christmas "because it's all on sale." My wife and I both became witnesses as adults, and I think both of us wanted to try to give the kids a semi-normal upbringing. That problem was resolved when we left in 1988-89. Halloween 1988 was the first real holiday we did.

• yknot
    yknot

LOL......JWs have 'after holidays' holidays!

.....of course their is the privilege 'celebrations' too!.....

Oh joy the CO or DO will be hosted by the congregation!

Ooooh a Bethel Speaker or Special Pioneer sent by Bethel is visiting

Pioneer, Elder, MS, Youth in FS appreciation days!

• carla
    carla

Well, I guess it's good they have something to mark the years right? I too am guilty! When all this first started in my house we tried to accomodate our new convert and had 'a very merry unbirthday' (Alice in Wonderland for the uninformed) for him in the middle of the year. What the hell did we know?! We meant well in our ignorance but he made little of it including all the preparation by the kids. My heart just ached for them that day and every holiday since. damn cult. On a bright note my kids are real sweethearts for mom on the holidays and make wonderful gifts from the heart.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I say good for them. If they insist on remaining trapped in the cult for whatever reason, at least they're making a few pleasant memories with their poor kids.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    I knew some JWs that had a fake Christmas. The kids all got presents, except there was no tree, and it wasn't on December 25th.

LOL - My family did the very same thing. We even had eggnog to boot. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in which George Castanza's dad invented the holiday of Festivus. As he gathered everyone around the dinner table, he would pick up his "Festivus pole" and shout at the top of his lungs: "And now, a Festivus for the rest of us!"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Every year during the Christmas Season,we would have a "It`s not a Christmas Turkey Dinner,Turkey Dinner.".....We would sit around the table,eating our "It`s not a Christmas Turkey Dinner" and everyone would talk about why this was`nt a Christmas Turkey Dinner!..It usually boiled down to,Jehovah`s Witness`s can eat turkey anytime of year..Or..Turkey is cheaper this time of year.Just because you eat a "It`s not a Christmas Turkey Dinner" during the Christmas season,did not make it a Christmas Turkey Dinner!..LOL!!.........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit