Friends we are too unbalanced.

by sleepy 146 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Well sometimes we are.
    Look we have the knowledge and experience to help a lot of people.Must of us have one time been JW's and understand how many think.So lets not put them off by being too negative.

When we were witnesses most of us were quite happy . We tried to be good people , to put into practise principles that many people think are good. We did this sometimes even when we didn't want to , because we thought God would hold us accountable and because we cared for people .( of course we still do)
    People were alcoholics, drug users, wife beaters and more and changed their ways because they believed what they were learning was the truth and wanted it badly so they could change their lives.( of course some didn't change , but that was the exception rather than the rule)
    Belief in the bible made many people happier and better persons.
    This may not have been the only thing that could have accomplished this for some but for many it was pivitol in their lives.
    I belive the society was wrong in its arrmaggedon beliefs wrong in putting too much trust in the bible wrong for assuming aurthority other others, but they and individual witnesses helped alot of people improve their lives.
    Some suffered because of the society ,some don't realise they will suffer in the future when their faith crumbles due to a fuller understanding of the organisation.
    The beliefs of Jehovahs witnesses altough many of them are wrong are not evil.The people who make up Jehovahs witnesses in general are not evil just a little misguided.
    We do feel anger at what we went through some have had bad experiences however I feel that me included we focus far too much on the negatives side of witness life and not enought on the positives.
    Jehovahs witnesses in general are people who want to do what is right even if it hurts them to do so .
    I feel they sould be commended for such an attitude.
    Yes they are wrong some beliefs are harmful , but a lot of people have been helped and do make good friends and neighbours.
    Lets not always be too negative about them even though the belief system is wrong

Edited by - sleepy on 3 December 2001 14:9:36

• chester
    chester

Sleepy,

Excellent post!!!

I agree.

Chester

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

You're kidding right?

Andi

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sleepy

The wt would be better if they allowed people to leave it in an 'alive' state. For people who are at a level where they need the group support and can conform, it may do some good. If they allowed, or even encouraged people to move on after they had gained as much as possible, it would be better. One church i attended for a while was like this. The wt would need to get rid of their exclusivist doctrines. The way the wt is now, is like a prison.

SS

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Can I remind everyone of the work SilentLambs is doing? Can I remind everyone of the countless children that were physically and sexually abused and the abusers that were harbored and protected by the WTS? That nothing has been done to protect the innocent children? And that nothing has been done to even try to make up for it to those already damaged?

I'm sorry. I disagree with this post completely.

Andi

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I agree that there were some good things accomplished. I agree that most of JW's are good, honest, God-fearing people and are not evil. I believe in balance as well.

However...there is much harm that has and is still being done by the WTBS in their past and present state. It's wrong to fool people. It's wrong to put oneself in a position to make decisions for other people's lives when you don't know a damn thing more about the matter than they do. It's wrong to perpetuate a system of belief that you know is not what you say it is. It's wrong to shun people. It's wrong to ascribe to oneself what only belongs to God. It's wrong to think more of one's image than the good of individuals. The list goes on and on.

-My regrets stand like grim sentinels at the gates of roads once taken but not to be traveled again...The French Knight-

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sleepy,I don`t think theres anything unbalanced about dislikeing people who want you dead for not belonging to their religion.Misguided or not they support the slaughter of 6 billion innocent people!They support EVIL!Threaten their lives and they`ll squeel like a stuck pigs,everyone of them.I have no sympathy for anyone of them.If they want to turn their lives around,God bless them,if not,their fair game!If we judged them the way they judge us,there would be 6 million dead jws.Sounds evil dosen`t it...OUTLAW

The Golden Rule:The people with the gold make the rules.

• mindfield
    mindfield

Me, unbalanced? You must be kidding, right?

Okay, so maybe I am unbalanced.

Outlaw, they're not the only ones disliking people not in their religion. Other religions, though I don't know specifically, probably teach the same thing. It's all a matter of good vs. evil, but in different places.

• Kent
    Kent

This is the worst crap I've ever heard. Yeah, sure - don't let us be hard on them! They aren't evil - just misguided.

Get Sober!

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Again, why is this so hard for people to understand? You must seperate the 'people' from the 'organization'. For the most part, the 'people' are good, kind-hearted people. Of course, there are bad apples. In the end you find that JWs as 'people' are no different than any other group, comprised of many good people and some 'bad' or maybe more accurate to say, power-hungry and opportunistic people. Most people do tend to seek their own gain in life, JWs are no different.

However, the 'organization' itself is very harmful. The 'organization' has one purpose in life - to grow in power and money. The 'organization' will do so by steamrolling over anything and anyone in it's path to obtain what it wants. The difficult part becomes the fact that willingly or not, the JW 'people' do everything in their lives to promote and protect the 'organization' thereby selling themselves out. This doesn't make them 'bad' people neccesarily, but may make them participate in events that shatter other's lives. And all the while thinking that they're 'pleasing' god.

Also, the 'organization' can be an enabler for horrendous activity. I know that the Slack's thought they were 'doing god's will' when they beat poor Lauree to death. I know that the parent's of the many, many children I grew up around that were abused physically and mentally thought they were 'doing god's will'.

When did the elder's step in and stop the abuse? Never that I saw, in fact, it was often the elder's DOING the abusing and/or encouraging it.

In the end I see little to NO 'good' from the 'organization'. Imagine if the efforts and $$$$ of all those 6 million JWs were pored into "REAL" relief efforts - how many children and homeless could be helped? How many sick? Hungry? Nope, instead they offer empty messages of 'comfort' that you will die 'Real Soon Now' unless you conform to the 'organization's will'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit