anyone from the St. Louis, MO/ SW illinois area?

by SnakesInTheTower 23 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Snakes! don't discourage him from sharing. Okay, how about everyone that has dish, tell but leave out names. For those of us who know people in those areas, we can figure out who you are talking about.

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Well, Marion was easily the largest cong in IL#7 for several years. They had what I considered the coolest KH I had ever seen. It was a semi-circle hall that really looked like a mini-assembly hall. I think the place was so big they had 4 or 5 mic handlers. Anyway, this cong had as many as 18 elders and nearly as many MS. They had a reputation for appointing really young guys as MS & elders (17-yr-old MS and 25-yr-old elders). They had many elders & MS quit. And when I mean quit, I don't mean fade. They just quit, right out of the blue. That cong loved to party. They had dances, parties, raves, whatever you want to call them, complete with flashing lights, smoke machine, everything.

They built a new hall back in 2001 I think. Not as much character as their old mini-assembly hall. Since this cong had several wealthy JW's, they went all out and spared no expense. I do know that Marion went off-task & refused to build to specs. They were supposedly reprimanded by Brooklyn & the RBC for their 'refusal to follow instruction'.

That cong never did split, though, even though they were huge for a while. Their meeting attendance was pretty awful & most of their membership seemed apathetic & a little aloof - pretty typical these days.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I live in the St. Louis area... heh heh heh...

Jackie

• finally awake
    finally awake

I grew up in Anna, although I wasn't a dub back then. One of my classmates was a witness named Lori Murphy. She married a brother from Cape whose last name was Kidd. Her parents were Jack and Claudia Murphy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit