Does anyone have a trusted recipe for Sofrito?

by restrangled 17 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Thanks Burns! I was confused as to whether the Sofrito should be cooked or not and you answered that question. I saw recipes calling for Sherry, and I agree the flavor is great. I am planning on adding the olives to the final dish. By a "Whole Garlic" are you referring to an entire head or one clove? You didn't mention onions in the Sofrito but in the final dish is that correct?...!

Boil the meat separate, sautee the sofrito when the meat is close to done then shred the meat into the sofrito. I use a deep pan for the saute, that way I can just add the meat direct once it is done boiling.

Garlic--entire head. Garlic is your friend. If you feel lazy, buy the already minced garlic in olive oil in the jar at the store. It tastes fine. You can add the onions directly to the sofrito saute, that is what I do although adding it to the meat when you are simmering it in the pan wont ruin it, IMHO. But really, it needs onion. I like adding it to the sofrito so it can brown and start to turn translucent. Then I dont have to cook the meat as long. Have fun and develop your own style. Every family has their own way of doing it.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    1 large bunch cilantro, washed

7 to 10 ajices dulces (see notes)

4 culantro leaves or another handful of cilantro (see notes)

You can add some cilantro or culantro. I have culantro in my herb garden in a pot but I only add it to black beans. My wife uses the cilantro, but then, she adds cilantro to almost everything, that is how they cook where she is from in Venezuela. The dont call it Ropa Vieja (old clothes) though, they call it Carne Mechada (shredded beef). Same thing, basically. They eat it with rice and beans, fried sweet plantains, and some green salad and maybe arepas (corn cakes). The whole thing is called pabellon. It is the national dish over there.

BTS

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks again Burns....yikes....an entire head of garlic....but I will trust you.....or are you trying to make me stay away from the early voting polls here in Florida with garlic breath?....just kidding. I am going to make it my own as you say. I'll let you know how it turns out.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks Betterdaze, I am combining Burns suggestions with the recipe you sent. It reminds me of some German recipes. I'll post here has to how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for responding!

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The best test is no leftovers.....I have none.

What fun, and to make something new and have total success!

Thanks to all who contributed!!!!!

r.

• edward612
    edward612

we got it at supermarket, don't do it by ourselves

• cjones
    cjones

I love this website it is comprehensive and the recipes are easy to follow:

http://www.elboricua.com/sofrito.html / http://www.elboricua.com/recipes.html / Here is a another website http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cuban-Ropa-Vieja/Detail.aspx

Good luck. Let us know how it came out!!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I can't remember where I found the version I use - I remember that it's "Cuban style" - but it's basically bell pepper, tomato, onion and garlic fried together; then you stir in tomato paste. I use red, orange or yellow bell peppers - but not green. I love to keep some around as a condiment. Makes a great sauce to smother pork chops in; I did that tonight.

GentlyFeral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit