ran into a sister at 7-11 today

by levids 11 Replies latest jw friends

• levids
    levids

Well, the confrontation I've been trying to avoid happened this afternoon. On my way to my martial arts class with my DF'ed brother, I stopped at 7/11. While I was at the counter an older sister who was one of my best friends while I was still active walked right behind me but didn't see me. Second-guessing myself on whether I should say hello or just leave, the clerk stopped me to sign my debit card receipt and it was too late, she caught me and I felt obligated to talk to her a little if only because she was a very dear friend and she hadn't seen me in a year and a half. Before I tell the story of our conversation, it's worth mentioning I just finished reading Combatting Cult Mind Control, and I realized during this experience that I was talking with someone who is absolutely under mind control by the Watchtower Society.

One telling part of my conversation with this sister is that when I said hello she barely even asked me how I was, she just went right into JW hounding mode and started asking me where I had been and why I hadn't been at the Kingdom Hall for the last year and a half. First she asked me how am I keeping my relationship with Jehovah if I'm not an active Witness and I quoted Romans 10:9 and said that my association with the WT has no bearing on my relationship with God. Then she asked me how am I preaching if I'm not going out in service and I replied that most of my friends know that I'm a Christian and I'll share my views with them if they're interested. Then she asked how I'm not "forsaking the gathering of ourselves" if I'm not coming to the Kingdom Hall and I replied that I have a number of friends that I talk about the Bible and Christianity with. She immediately made the Witness sneer comment "do you really think they're Christians?" and I said "Yes".

Finally I just told her the truth and said that there are some issues(blood primarily, also disfellowshipping and the encouraged golden calf worship of the organization) that I disagree with and cannot conscientiously support because I believe they're wrong. I'm sure most of you can guess the response, she pulled the "don't you believe in the Faithful and Discreet Slave?" card, but I didn't fall for it and just replied that my ultimate loyalty is to Jehovah and the Bible. Next she pulled the "don't you believe Jehovah has an organization and a group of people that he appointed to teach the truth in the Last Days?" and I gave the same reply, that I follow the Bible. She said, "Well, where did you learn the things you know about the Bible?" and I said ,"From the Bible."

She was getting pretty steamed at this point and she said,"Have you joined an apostate group?" Now I know my answer might seem dishonest because I've read all the usual apostate books and I enjoy associating with all you fine ex-JW's on JWD and JWR, but I know that what the Bible calls an apostate is a person who rebels against Christ, so I told her no. She replied,"Well, you sound like it!" Then she asked me where I'm getting my spiritual food from if I'm not associating with the organization and I said,"Well, I have the same Bible I did before, what else do I need?" Finally, she said very sarcastically,"Well, it must be nice to just do it alone, trying to have a relationship with Jehovah by yourself and reading the Bible by yourself and making up your own mind what it means!" I said "Yeah, it really is!" and that was it, she was so mad she stormed out of the store and forgot to pay the clerk!

Of course, most of you can see what's probably coming. She'll go to the hounders and tell them I'm an apostate and I'll get dragged before a kangaroo court. The jokes on them though, because if that does happen I'm prepared to record the whole thing and I'll send a copy to every person in the Kingdom Hall and post it on the Internet.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Finally, she said very sarcastically,"Well, it must be nice to just do it alone, trying to have a relationship with Jehovah by yourself and reading the Bible by yourself and making up your own mind what it means!"

She totally missed the part that you told about your 'friends'.

lisa

• shamus100
    shamus100

Sounds like a pretty sh*tty friend you had there. We all had them!

If the elders call you, tell them that that sister is off her rocker, and if they want to DF you on those grounds, go for it. She sounds pretty unstable, and pretty stupid. I hope she chooses to see the light herself and smarten up.

• caliber
    caliber

It's the same old story... same stuck record .. meetings, field service,.. faithful slave class

that has all and only truth ! Any other source of strength or encouragement is condemned as

either worthless or worse evil ! You did right expressing yourself in a calm, controlled manner.

When on the outside looking in you do see the sneering... self-righteous attitude looking to

belittle any would be sensible, reasonable answers you might give them or worse to trip you

up putting your neck in a noose. Rejoin us or else.. no other options available !

Caliber

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thanks for sharing your story. I never tire of hearing these first-hand reports of how effective the WT mind control really is.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Wow, you responded really well. Did she see that you were with your DF'ed brother? That might be something she reports back. Let us know what happens next.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Well played. Kudos to you.

Love,
    Baba.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

u did great. If the lifeless ones, (elders), call u, just tell them that the sister was trying to correct a you (a brother). They will flip on her in a New York minute

• Quandry
    Quandry

and I realized during this experience that I was talking with someone who is absolutely under mind control by the Watchtower Society.

I think you did a great job-so did she. She covered all the "pertinent questions" a dub would ask someone who is not going to the meetings. I am sure a few short years ago that would have been me! Perhaps it could have been you, too.

• StAnn
    StAnn
    I'll get dragged before a kangaroo court.

Just remember. They have no authority over you. Whether or not you choose to go before the Kangaroo Court is your decision alone.

Although I'm sure it would be great to have a meeting on tape, I don't know that I'd want to put up with the bullcrap just for the tape.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit