A question for those outside of the USA

by seven006 25 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Best of luck with your book. I understand that Berke Breathed of Bloom County fame has taken up Children's book writing lately. Have you seen/read any of them? I think you have a really sharp wit like his, so I wonder if your style might be similar to his.

• seven006
    seven006

Duncan,

Thanks for your input. That information helps a lot!

Dan,

I am very familiar with Breathed’s book and have a copy. It’s called Mars needs Moms. From what I have heard, Disney bought up the movie rights the first week it came out in print as they should have. It’s great! His illustrations for his book are done mostly in airbrush (my old medium, I now do exclusively digital 3D). Most children’s books today suck especially when it comes to the illustrations. But they still sell in the millions of copies. There is a kids book called “Walter the farting dog” and it alone has sold over a million copies already. It’s story is weak and the art sucks really bad but kids like the word “farting” so it has sold like crazy. You just never know.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Here in Ireland we also call it a torch. Why is it called a flashlight? Not much good if it flashes, is it?!

The old lamp to the foot and light to the roadway....

All the best with the book!

• core
    core

When my children were young there was a TV series here - Jamie and the Magic Torch - they loved it - looks primitive now.. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_FQKHQDYk

• minimus
    minimus

In my country I call it my Dyno Torch.

Stilla calls it his slimJim.

• seven006
    seven006

Core,

Thanks for posting that. I guess it’s true what they say, there’s nothing new under the sun. This is why it has taken me over three years to get to where I am with the kids book now. The story elements keep changing for one reason or another. I have a very strong need and desire for this book to be unique. Your post just showed me it is not. I have never heard of Jamie and the magic torch but I have now. Thank you.

I see I need to go back and make some more changes. Luckily the flashlight was added less than six months ago so it is not a total revision at this point.

Thank you. You saved me some potential embarrassment concerning the flashlight element of the story.

• minimus
    minimus

I coulda told you that, Dave.

• seven006
    seven006

You coulda old me what, Min?

• minimus
    minimus

I coulda "old" you??

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Bloody hell, I can't keep straight the difference between the ground floor and the first floor whilst in the Mother Country.

Well that and roundabouts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit