Need a little help for my birthday

by MisfitMeL 17 Replies latest jw friends

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

Hello everyone! :)

It's my birthday today (yay) and my mum (a JW) has a habit of sending me a text message/email to say "Have a nice day. May Jah bless you etc." (she's careful to never actually use the word birthday). Even as a kid, I never got presents or a card, but my mum would cook something nice for the day or we'd go out for dinner at a fav restaurant.

Wouldn't all that count as celebrating your birthday? I always thought it did, although she doesn't feel that way. I know JWs aren't supposed to make a big deal of their birthday, but did any of you ever do something (no matter how small) to commemorate your special day?

Anyways, sorry for rambling, but today I couldn't help myself and I replied "Thanks for the birthday wishes! (omg the dreaded B word!) Even though I know you're not allowed to do that. I really appreciate it"

This provoked a "Good you appreciate it. One year of your life has passed. Thank Jah for keeping you healthy and safe blah blah" and then a worried "Did you go for the meeting today? when's your convention? Are you going for it?"

I haven't been to a meeting in 2 years, yet I've always lied to my mum about it. She hasn't asked me if I attend for quite a few months now, and today was the first time she did.. probably cause I mentioned birthday LOL

Have there been any doctrinal changes to the way JWs treat bdays? I'm so out of touch these days. Oh and if anyone knows when the next convention dates are for the UK so I can fib about it, I'd be most grateful

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Happy B-DAY M.

Take care,

Ismael

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

Happy B-DAY M.

Take care,

Ismael

Thank you Ismael!

• penny2
    penny2

Hi Mel,

Happy Birthday!

No, there hasn't been a change, JWs are as unreasonable as ever. Your mum sounds sweet. I'd say just tell her you're not going to meetings. She'll get used to it.

penny

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

Hi Mel,

Happy Birthday!

No, there hasn't been a change, JWs are as unreasonable as ever. Your mum sounds sweet. I'd say just tell her you're not going to meetings. She'll get used to it.

penny

Thanks Penny! I'm still afraid of telling her I'm not attending anymore

• penny2
    penny2

I know how you feel. I kept going to meetings knowing it was rubbish because I didn't want to hurt my parents. But then I got to the point I couldn't do it anymore. So I told them. It was the hardest thing I ever did. But they got used to it and it's much better.

Parents are smart - your mum probably suspects you're not going.

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

I know how you feel. I kept going to meetings knowing it was rubbish because I didn't want to hurt my parents. But then I got to the point I couldn't do it anymore. So I told them. It was the hardest thing I ever did. But they got used to it and it's much better.

Parents are smart - your mum probably suspects you're not going.

Yeah you're right.. she probably suspects anyway else she wouldn't keep asking about it. I still can't bring myself to do it though I hate breaking her heart

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Happy Birthday!!!! No there has been no change in the organization. My parents never acknowledged my birthday. Now I have children and the day goes un noted by them. I say they got by pretty cheap all those years. No birthday, no Christmas, no Easter baskets, no Halloween costume, no dresses for dances and no college education.

• free2think
    free2think

Happy Birthday MisfitMel.

So are you having a party?

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL
    Happy Birthday!!!! No there has been no change in the organization. My parents never acknowledged my birthday. Now I have children and the day goes un noted by them. I say they got by pretty cheap all those years. No birthday, no Christmas, no Easter baskets, no Halloween costume, no dresses for dances and no college education.

Ouch! That is cheap

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit