"Some Facts & More Facts About Russell" (1913) PDF

by cabasilas 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

"Some Facts and More Facts about the Self-Styled "Pastor" Charles T. Russell (of Millennial Dawn Fame)" was written by Rev. J. J. Ross of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in 1913. This booklet is mentioned by several historians of the Watchtower movement. For example, this was Walter Martin's take on Ross' story:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/apl/jw/jehwit34.txt

Ross' original booklet caused Russell to sue for libel. This booklet contains the original leaflet that Ross wrote and Ross' account of the Libel case. Ross claims on page 15 that the jury found no cause for "libel" against Ross.

As famous (or "infamous") as this booklet is, I'd never actually seen a copy of Ross' booklet until now. The booklet is 50 pages.

For those interested in a scanned PDF (1.32 MB) of this booklet, it can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=4f0de6ba42c54c211923cdc804dd7691

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks, very interesting stuff.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Can you not sleep Leolaia

• greendawn
    greendawn

The WTS had always been some human's property though always fraudulently presented as being God's property. Russell had 990 out of 1000 shares which means total control. And the ease with which he lied even in court under oath shows much about his saintly character, the man was deeply into lying and deceiving.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Thank you!

N.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Atlantis, Leolaia and others: you're welcome.

Penton says that Ross bore "false witness" against Russell re: knowing the Greek alphabet. Apparently, Ross' citation of the court trial leaves out the word "alphabet" when Russell was asked "Do you know the Greek alphabet?" to which Russell said "Oh, yes." And Russell does say he'd have trouble identifying some letters. But Ross accurately recounts that when Russell was presented with a Greek text he did not identify any Greek letters. I don't think I'd call that perjury, but I think it shows that Russell's knowledge of Greek was extremely small. Apparently, his knowledge of the Greek alphabet was limited to using Strong's or Young's Concordance.

• yknot
    yknot

alt

I will be clawing my way though it now......!!!!!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Page 38

He claims that 'he is the only one who has the proper understanding of the Scriptures, and condemns, without exception,

the translators of the Bible and all ministers as untrue and deceitful. He does this only to attract attention to himself and his cult. For a man to condemn

all other men as liars, deceitful and cowards, as Russell is doing for the purpose of illuminating himself,

makes him

a deceiver and a false prophet, and one who is not to be trusted in matters of religion,

to say nothing of morals. We charge him with

a moral nature very much below par, for which he

himself is to blame. /

Even then people could see he was power and money hungry crook.

Religion can many times be a dirty business, played by unscrupulous people..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is what makes it frustrating that the Russell v. Russell and the Russell v. Ross transcripts are not readily available. I would also like to see how Ross' characterization of Russell's testimony about Emily Matthews compares with the actual record.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I wonder if copies of both those trials exist at Bethel?

Any writing department personnel reading this? :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit