Funny Shunning Experiences

by lovelylil 18 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

ha, ha, I am sitting here laughing and drinking my morning coffee!

Lisa, you are sooo funny. I am going to try that next time I see a dub and I am not kidding.

A few times I actually said hello to some of the dubs I really liked and miss. They said hello back to me. And one even asked how my family was and if we were all happy. We were in an elevator together. When I said yes we are really happy, she said she was glad. Of course her hubby is a "worldly" person so she is a little more balanced them some of the other crazies.

• oddpotter
    oddpotter

shunning is a show witnesses can put on to to make people pay attention to them.

its just another load of their crap.

i've had witnesses see me in stores and just look like they didn't know what to do.

i moved away and have avoided witnesses in my new area.

i have tried calling old witness friends and they just usually say they don't want

to talk to me. i'm gonna start calling them again.

• LDH
    LDH

I got shunned in a grocery store by a welfare white trash family. What made it comical was, I had just found out the night before I was to be reinstated that night at the meeting.

She walks in, looks at me, turns her two kids around and loudly proclaims, "Come on children, we are not even to be mixing in company with such a person!"

That night at the hall she was in line to give me a hug.

I turned my back on her.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Sometimes they are the scum of the earth. Good job standing up for yourself LDH.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

The craziest Shunning Experience I've read (here on JWD) was from Kwintestal. Shunned in his daughter's psychologist's office while waiting for the appointment to discuss --- the emotional trauma of shunning--!!!

Another good one (maybe also by Kwin and Heart2Heart (??) ) was being shunned by a Walmart Greeter. Funny stuff.

I am ashamed for any of my past shunning. This past weekend I got to make amends with someone I shunned about 10 years ago. Not full shunning but I know I was uncomfortable due to the person's DF status and made small talk but dismissed myself quickly. It felt good to get back on level ground again.

-Aude.

• caliber
    caliber

As tired of hypocrisy stated on the other posting you can be "love bombed " or" totally shunned" all

all in the same day ! It shows that because of constant drilling.. "the end is near " lovers of God must

be gathering all the more so ... "Ark of protection " etc .. " taking in knowledge" .. mentally forces JW's

to what appears to be a totally forced, unnatural reaction to former members ! The" invisable wall "of

fear and control is what others cannot see So funny or so sad which ?(maybe just weird funny )

Caliber

• jws
    jws

Well, I can't say my brother and I were DF'ed, reprooved, or DA'ed. But we had a reputation and were definitely shunned by a lot of the people at the hall. We had a friend who kept getting in trouble through his own stupidity with alcohol. Every one of his DUIs can probably be traced back to some contact with my brother or I on the same day. Not to say we encouraged him, but when he was in the mood to get drunk and be bad, he'd hang out with the guys who didn't judge him for wanting to drink. Judged for getting drunk and driving, yes. But not for just drinking, swearing, and chasing worldly girls. In his mind (and I'm sure with lots of similar views from his parents), we were the cause of all of his problems. So, he ends up getting married. Like most JW weddings in our area, the congregation is usually implicitly invited. We hadn't been going to meetings very regularly by then and hadn't talked to him in probably over a year. But we show up anyway to sincerely congratulate him. We behaved perfectly. Since we felt a bit unwelcomed, we did not eat or drink anything. We didn't want to cause him any more expense. We brought a gift and card. We walked up to him to congratulate him. The guy was literally trembling. His voice was cracking as he tried to speak. There was fear in his eyes. We had a short talk with him and left. It was clear to us that he wasn't a friend anymore. We were really shocked by how scared he seemed though. You'd think he was shaking hands with a pair of demons. I can only imagine that he saw a cause-effect relationship. When he associates with us, he gets in trouble. Like we were a curse and that our mere presence there would cause him to do something bad. Oh yeah, almost forgot. The youth of our new congregation was into drinking. When they found out we drank too, we were part of the in-crowd. Then eventually somebody gets a conscience and has to go confess to the elders. My brother and I deny everything and the other kids who have been friends for years band together and shun us. About this time, one girl is having a graduation party. We had been invited before things started coming out, but I guess it was assumed we'd never show up. Well, we did. There was a volleyball game going on in the back yard and I swear, everybody was staring at us and the ball just dropped in front of somebody and they didn't even make a play for it. They lost all concentration. Ah, the good old days... Our friend is now divorced and several members of that volleyball game are dfed.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Lisa, that pic should be your new avatar!

Serena

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Funny Shunning Experiences

Lill, I love you, gal, but I must admit, when I saw this thread, I thought, "Now that's a contradiction in terms."

Even funny shunning can hurt.

The closest thing I have to a funny shunning experience was also at WalMart. An elderly sister from my old KH was sitting on a bench at WalMart, waiting for her bus. I knew she was trapped. She'd finished her shopping and her feet were killing her (you could tell by the way she was sitting.) So I went over and sat down next to her, gave her a hug, told her how happy I was to see her and that I'd be glad to postpone my shopping for 15 minutes to visit with her while she waited for the bus.

Well, she was taken aback at first but finally caved in and started talking. We actually had a nice chat. Finally she said, "Well, I always liked you anyway." I took that to mean, I know I shouldn't be talking to you, but I'm going to anyway.

It was a precious 15 minutes.

Serena

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit