Different Dress Codes in Different Regions?

by StAnn 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    It's so strange to look in my closet now, all my husband's suits and all of my long floral skirts and sweater sets just hanging there.

no more kool aid,

Sounds like a GREAT reason to go shopping!! After I was inactive for several months I noticed how "sanctified" my closet looked. Can you say "Salvation Army"? I donated nearly everything.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Either it's a local thing, then, or these people just feel really comfortable with my friend.

She brought it up because we were talking about how to stay warm in winter in a skirt/dress and I mentioned that I always wore long underwear and tall boots under my skirts when I went out in field service back in the "old days". My friend was surprised because she says the women always come to her door in slacks or nice jeans.

It must just be an isolated incident. I thought there was a ban on jean skirts, let alone jeans.

It reminded me of that stupid little "marking work" story someone posted on here about how the angels are watching as you go door to door, and how people may not open their doors when you knock but they're thinking, "Aren't those Jehovah's Witnesses? They're always dressed so nice and their children are so well behaved." I guess when you don't have anything substantive to give them theologically, things like being dressed nicely take on a bigger importance.

StAnn

• blondie
    blondie

No jeans/slacks here. Some wear tights over sleek long underwear in the winter. The only woman who came to the door with jeans was from a local Lutheran church inviting her neighbors to a musical event at church.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I live in a fairly open minded area and I'm not buying the casual clothes topic. It had to be an informal sort of dropping by type of visit.

Although I still feel that someone walking up to your door in a suit at 10:00am looks ridiculous.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Jeans in the service is perfectly OK over here in my country, and is used all the time. Rarely at meetings, but no-one would object. Beards and moustanches and longer hair for the brothers OK, and speakers at CC and DC have moustaches.

US, you'd better shape up!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

This sounds like a fluke. Denim was always a dirty word when I was associated. Back in the late 70s when it was common to wear a lot of denim the criticism came out and it was 'banned'.

Nomorekoolaid,

I also got rid of my long dowdy dresses and peasanty skirts, etc. I am ashamed I even wore these things. My closet now looks much better.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit