Unitarians?

by dogisgod 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I've been invited to "visit" the Unitarinan church tomorrow AM. What do you guys think? It doesn't really sound like a religion to me. My voice teacher has been one for decades.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hi dog,

My mother-in-law is a Unitarian. They are all accepting of everyone and everything. I have attended church with her, the local minister is a Lesbian.

They seem to be the most tolerant of all beliefs.....almost too much so. It depends on what you are looking for.

My MIL's father called it a social club (Presbyterian) and had no use for it. They seem like a nice group of people who have been disenfranchised by the religion they grew up with. What I have seen is anything and everything is open.

To put it another way....I don't know who said this, but here is the quote....."They believe everything and stand for nothing."

I would say for an x-jw it would be the easiest to join.

I really became upset when my MIL started talking about Jesus's birth was due to a rape......that was too much for me. I am no fanatical Christian....that just hit me very, very wrong.

r.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The Unitarian Church that is closest to my house, (and it's 45 minutes away), had a minister who was a philosphy major and a woman. The congregation consisted of mostly highly educated, liberal minded people. If I was going to join a church, it would be that one, but I am WAY TOO LAZY to drive an hour and half round trip on a Sunday morning. Let us know what it was like to attend the service.

Does anyone know if the Unitarians are anyway related to the Church of Christ? I saw a commercial on CNN this morning that said they welcome all people. I assume it also meant gays, because they featured a lesbian couple in the ad.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

They embrace universalism and encourage you to find your own spiritual path. Universalists exist in all churches and religions.

They seem to be the most tolerant of all beliefs.....almost too much so.

A lot of people can't handle the responsibility of finding true ethics. They want for some religion to control them, rather than learning self control on their own. This is one reason the Episcopal Church is so small. People cannot handle it when the church respects the individual's right and responsibility in coming to the right conclusions and ethics in life.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

a friend of mine is inactive but her mother decided to go to the Unitarian church after studying with JW's for over 10 years. Basically she goes for the social connection and the fact that they will accept just about any teaching

• LisaAnn
    LisaAnn

From adherents.com:

One of the most over-represented religious groups among U.S. presidents is Unitarianism. Despite merging with Universalism in the 1960s, the combined proportion of Unitarian Universalists in the U.S. population is just 0.2% of the population (one in every 500 Americans). Yet there have been 4 Unitarian presidents.

Namely John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, and William Howard Taft.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

I grew up in a Unitarian household and would offer these observations...It is made up of mostly white, educated, uber liberal people. It is all very kumbaya. Believe what you want. There are many roads to spirituality.In church school we read books like "Inherit the Wind", and at church camp we had encounter groups and makeout parties around the campfire. I imagine these days that would equate to reading books like "My Two Mommies" and handing out condoms before going to church camp. I think that the UU demographic speaks for itself. I know that minorities are certainly welcome and made to feel welcome there, but it is still overwhelmingly white. I would guess that you will see a lot of Obama bumper stickers in the parking lot. If you are a gun toting moose hunter that thinks that Native Americans got what they deserved....this wouldn't be your crowd.

• moshe
    moshe

I had a hard time getting a handle on the Unitarian church I visited a few times 15 years ago. I would have no problem today figuring out what was going on.

• mustang
    mustang

Ned Flanders doesn't like them

Mustang

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I haven't been to the Unitarian, but to the Church of Christ. They are pretty liberal also. The guest minister was a lesbian woman. She actually gave a good sermon on protecting the environment. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool. Exactly the opposite of JWism. My husband's parents go to the church. I'm not interested in joining, but I don't mind attending when we are visiting the parents. It was very warm and welcoming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit