Beards its OK guys wear them, goodness sake

by Shane 32 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

When I was absorbed by the borg in 1973 beards were forbidden period. I had mostly shaved mine, but kept a moustache for awhile. I was scheduled to give my experience at the assembly where I was going to be baptized. The CO told an elder to tell me to shave it or I couldn't be on stage. A few years later they announced at an assembly that neatly trimmed moustaches were OK.

As we were leaving the borg in the summer of 1988 I grew my beard back while on a camping trip. We bumped into a couple of brothers at a grocery store and I got some very odd looks from them while we were talking. Didn't make any difference I never went back to the hall and I still have the beard. And nobody at our church cares.

• crownboy
    crownboy
    books published around 1960 STILL were showing Jesus and Adam WITHOUT beard.

So true. I'm 19 so I was born in the "bearded Jesus" era , but I'm a 4th generationer so we've got a whole lot of old society books. Just last night I saw a Paradise Lost book, and there were pictures of Adam & Jesus clean shaven (Adam actually also had well groomed sideburns!). Beards are definitely an unoffical no-no. I can't think of any ("responsible") brother in any of the halls I've been to who had beards.

But what about goutees? (sp?) I think it would be o.k. After all, they aren't full beards and they have a little more hair than mustaches.

When I went to last year's memorial there was this poor "brother" who was wearing one and everyone was giving him the cold shoulder because he had one. I felt so bad for him.

I currently have a goatee and no brothers in my congregation have ever objected (including my dad, who's an elder). However, my uncle, who's also an elder, has repeatedly told me that my goatee "looks worldly" and that it's a sign of "an independent attitude" since no one else in my congreagation really has one. Of course, I ask him what scriptural counsel is there against them, the best he could do was say that "the society advises against them" (obviously, a real "society man"). The fact that Jesus more than likely wore one should tell them nothing is wrong with it scripturally, and socially a man with a well groomed beard is well respected (my uncle tried to tell me people with beards "aren't respectable", but I easily showed him otherwise).

Besides arguing about whether beards are right or not, we also argued about whether a goatee was a beard or not. In my opinion it's not, in his it is but who really gives a crap, anyway? Experiences like that make me happy that I'm mentally free of the societies dogmas.

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

The beard 'issue', I can assure you is of acute embarrassment to many at Senior level within the WTS in the US.

Many, even among the CO’s and DO’s that I have discussed the situation with do not accept the official GB line of beards ‘stumbling those with ‘weak consciences’, but as usual they lack courage to make an issue of what many of them view a ‘trivial’ matter. It is trivial, but alos indicative of a much more serious theological malaise.

I am quite certain that publicity over the fact that a JW cannot take ‘church office’ due to having a beard would create the WTS more embarrassment even than the UN/NGO fiasco, as they appreciate that the embargo cannot be justified Scriptually, and they certainly would not want the average JW questioned about the issue on their Ministry.

It has to be noted however that the final last stand of the issue seems to be in the US, as most European countries, New Zealand and I hear even Canada have allowed the thin edge of the wedge, and appointed elders with beards.

The average JW is far too embarrassed to even discuss the issue with a non-JW, as they appreciate as Ozzie noted above, how ridiculous the Organization looks to the public if the 'crime of beard' ever became common knowledge.

As is the wont of most humans, discuss the WTS & the UNO and they will yawn, discuss the embargo on beards and you have an audience.

Best regards -- HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit