I think the GB vote in elections

by Amha·’aret 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Hubby Gladring and I were having a chat in the car recently. We got to talking about how America is such a fertile breeding ground for nutjobs and their nutjob "religions" - no offense to any yanks but it is true!

We were talking about it coz of the upcoming US elections and how all the candidates are professed christians whose religious views and practises are as scrutinised as anything else during their campaign. They are obviously trying to appeal to like-minded religious people who will be voting. So why is there no atheist candidate?

America is a very religious country really despite its appearance as a very secular/materialistic place. It makes freedom a big deal and selling point and yet its laws seem to allow very controlling sects and cults have more rights than their members or should i say victims. Which finally brings me to the subject in hand....

I think the GB vote. Them and maybe some top level elders who are kept quiet about it. I mean look how ideal the place is for their business-diguised-as-a-religion! They need to keep things in that vein to be able to function and prosper. So maybe they vote, supporting those who are most likely to make laws that will favour them.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I dont' think they vote.

I have read numerous articles, however, citing their involvement and support of other religious entities in their own pursuit of religious financial gain. They supported Jimmy Swaggert and when that case settled, changed to the donation policy for literature.

The legal term for their alignment was something like: Friend of the Court. Or somesuch term - but in latin.

But voting themselves? I doubt it. Besides, they would only have 12 votes between them. Hardly enough to sway a homeowners association let alone a country.

-Aude.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amicus Curiae - friend of the court.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Friend of the Court. Or somesuch term - but in latin.

Amicus curie. (Gee I'm so proud, I didn't even have to Google it....)

Edited to say -- oops, Sylvia beat me to it & I spelled it wrong (serves me right for not looking it up)

• james_woods
    james_woods

And here I always thought it meant a friend of the discoverer of radium, Madame Curie...

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

"We got to talking about how America is such a fertile breeding ground for nutjobs and their nutjob "religions" - no offense to any yanks but it is true!"

I hope you didn't come to this conclusion after meeting Switch and me.

I don't know if they're stupid enough to vote themselves (although wouldn't be totally shocked if they ended up being just that stupid) because it would be too easy to be caught. Their lawyers would have more political influence than the few votes though.

America is pretty nuts though.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Oh goodness no Missinglink! I wasn't even thinking of you guys at all when I said that. Sorry.

We really enjoyed meeting you all and hope we can do it again sometime.

I just meeant the way the laws are over there and all this talk of freedoms seems to make way for these crazy sects and cults that would find it very difficult to exist in other countries.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Just messin. It really is bizarre over there. I was raised (as most Americans) to believe that it was the only free country in the world. That in all other countries there was no freedom of speech, religion, business, etc... Turns out to be all propaganda. The laws and attitudes there are much more restrictive than many other places - western Europe certainly. But the average American wouldn't have a clue about that. The place does seem to be a breeding ground for cults though. I don't know why that is. It is a very materialistic society. This may play a part - people disillusioned by that. Don't freak out on me my American friends. I'm one of you: American-Irish.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I just meeant the way the laws are over there and all this talk of freedoms seems to make way for these crazy sects and cults that would find it very difficult to exist in other countries.

God and Guns. Sometimes you don't know which to reach for first.

On the other hand, sometimes you do.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I dont think they vote...but they sure do lobbie and peddle influence. The WT has been a 800 pound gorilla in Brooklyn for years... and WT legal has been active in courts for years.

Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit