American Accents

by Duncan 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

E-man

Yes, I seem to remember that there were certain brothers who would definitely go a bit "stateside" when they were praying - there was a certain intonation that would be copied from older brothers, who in turn had copied it - probably all the way back to ole Fred hisself!

Hilary

"Caravan" - I'll certainly look 'em out and have a listen.

The Ena Sharples connection had been lost on me until tonight. (In fact she disappeared - supposedly "died" - at right about the time Elton arrived on the scene. Now it all makes sense.

Thirdson - I always liked Ian Dury - "tricky Dicky from Billericay" and all that.

David Bowie kind-of experimented with singing English, mostly during his not-yet-famous "Tony Newley" period. And he always sounded completely ridiculous.

Thanks everyone who replied, - but no one remembers old Bro Laskey. Maybe I imagined it.

Duncan.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

A notable transition in the applied accent department is the ever eccentric Glen Howe who's accent has over the decades evolved from a suburban Canadian to a rather folksy US banty rooster. 'About', went gradually from 'aboot' to 'abaooowwwt', and 'get' to 'git'.

I well remember his trip to the UK decades ago when in a habitual moment of frustration confided that, 'Trying to find a person with any guts in this group ( referring of course to the WTS ) is like looking for t*ts on a bull'. He filled the vaccuum of shocked silence that met him with a huge, jet-lagged yawn and moved on.

As to Jazz, Thirdson, it was invented in the UK, but perfected by the Brits! Check out Stan Tracey and try and find a pianist Stateside to compare.

Ladies and Gentlemen, round two........

HS

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    And to make up for Elton singing with an American accent, Madonna talks in a fake English accent. Jesus, what a puff she is! Little mid-Western girl pretending to be something special. In a lot of ways Madonna is the epitome to me of all the worst things that people allow celebrity to do to them.

Well...I don't know about y'all ((())), but I'm one of those unfortunate people that picks up an accent very quickly. I've moved around a lot in my childhood and one of the quickest ways to fit in was to pick up the lingo and articulation of those around you. It was never really intentional, but looking into my childhood I can see that. So now that I'm in Texas, I say "y'all" like a Texan. But if you get me on the phone with my parents, I'm saying "howzit bra" just like a local of Hawaii. I also have a few colleagues from New Joisey...I manage to pick up their accent if I spend time with them too. It's not really something I consciously do and I certainly don't consider myself a "puff".

It's known that Madonna lives in England now and it is probably hard for her to speak like a Yank if she doesn't hear Yank talk around her anymore.

I have noticed that too. I remember, before she hit it big (early 80's), and Weird Al was doing a mock interview with her using clips from other interviews. She was chewing a big wad of gum, twirling her hair with her fingers, and talking like a New Yawwwwker. Weird Al would edit in all these bogus questions. It was hysterical.

Now, when I see interviews with her, she sounds like those old Mid-Atlantic accents that women used to talk like in films of the 30s and 40's.

Not only does her "look" change with time, apparently, so does her accent.

I don't know if this has much to do with her voice inflection as much as her age. In spite of her colorful life the last 20 years, she has matured some and probably doesn't want to sound like a 16 year old twit anymore. Besides, whose look and voice doesn't change with times? Thank God mine have - I'd still be wearing neon belts with layered sock and backwards shaker knit sweaters from the 80's if I didn't.

Not too much of a Madonna fan, but want to give her the benefit of the doubt...

Andi

• Englishman
    Englishman

Duncan,

I remember that! Had a love affair with Lena, in the back of my Cortina. A seasoned - up (dreadful!) hyena, Could not have been more obscener!

Just downloaded it from audio-galaxy.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• COMF
    COMF

Whutter y'all talkin' about?

COMF

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((COMF)))) Hahaha!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka