How to survive a nuclear attack ...

by IT Support 8 Replies latest jw friends

• IT Support
    IT Support

Yet another fascinating TED video:

Irwin Redlener: How to survive a nuclear attack

I'd never before even considered the possibility of survivability ...

• IT Support
    IT Support

I was a kid in the same era, but we never had nuclear bomb drills in UK schools.

So did your drills consist of hiding under a desk and covering yourself with a blanket, Lady Lee, or was there more to it?

• zeroday
    zeroday

I remember the same drills in the early 60's grade school...it mainly consisted of a siren going off and everyone hiding under their desk...somehow I don't think a wood desk would provide much protection in a nuclear blast...

• Quandry
    Quandry

In the fifties, we had to take a bleach bottle (empty) and fill it with water, bring a blanket, and I think canned foods to school in a big sack. We would take the sack and get under our desks periodically to practice.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont think you can survive a direct hit but if Washington gets hit. I may abe able to survive in Florida.

I have a wall of books my own personal library. I will take several sheets of plywood then pile the books 5 feet tall on them the books will act as a barrier to the fall out. I'm not sure what's going to filter my air or if it needs filtering. If it needs filtering I guess I'm dead.

Probably wont live long anyway after the fallout everyone will get mutations and cancer. Except those that believe in evolution. They will grow new eyeballs and apendages and become a new creation of peopleoids.

• RAF
    RAF

didn't watch the vid ... I just think that you need to be lucky ...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hide under your school desk!..White paste,pencils and note books absorb radiation!..Running Away In Circles........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Mutz
    Mutz

Simple, Duck and Cover :D

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am pretty safe where I live. Away from population centers. Access to water. I am also stocking up (I have to deal with hurricanes regardless). There are a number of things you can do to shield yourself. Potassium iodide dosing for example at the onset of a nuclear event. It will help keep you from frying your thyroid when ambient iodine gets contaminated. Also, regularly exposing yourself to low levels of radiation builds up your bodies natural radiation responses. Google radiation hormesis. People that live in areas with high amounts of ambient radiation live longer and have fewer cancers. I have some uranium ore I keep around the house. A friend of mine keeps a vintage Fiestaware plate under his bed (the pre 1950s plates were glazed with uranium oxide, some are quite hot). I am also refurbishing some 60's vintage defense department radiation detectors, I enjoy the electronics work anyway and nuclear stuff has always fascinated me. I built a working Wilson Cloud Chamber in middle school. I have two detectors right now, a low range Geiger tube one, and a high range one with a scintillation chamber. If that one pegs, kiss your ass goodbye. It is only a matter of time before a major western city goes up in a cloud, it is a probabilities game.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit