JWs CAN CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS!

by Sirona 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

So the Christian needs to be primarily concerned about what? Not what a certain symbol or design possibly meant thousands of years ago or how it might be thought of on the other side of the world, but what it means now to most people where he lives

They would most probably conclude that the Christian was wearing [a cross] because of its current religious significance. Thus, the Witnesses avoid displaying this religious symbol

It's amazing... these two statements were separated by only a few paragraphs yet totally contradict each other.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Friday:
    In Esther's day neither the Hanukah celebration, nor the birth of Jesus, had occured. It's most likely a certainty that she wouldn't have a specific celebration that day.

Sirona:
    Nice research - it kinda puts things into perspective, whilst highlighting the dual standards, doesn't it?

ISP:
    Whilst I attend a church that doesn't support Christmas, it is left to the individual's conscience as to what they want to do. I've not heard anyone condemned for celebrating it, in fact it would appear that most do.
    Seems pretty balanced, to me.

• meadow77
    meadow77

I posted this gem a while back. I know that it is old, but I found it curious that in the "old light" or whatever they call it, that they saw nothing wrong with celebrating the holidays.

1904 "Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28), nevertheless, since the celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - "Christmas day."" (Watchtower, Dec. 1, 1904, p364)

I guess they now see a reason to quibble

• meadow77
    meadow77

Edited by - meadow77 on 23 December 2002 17:18:13

• meadow77
    meadow77

Edited by - meadow77 on 23 December 2002 17:18:40

• Sirona
    Sirona

BTTT for anyone who didn't see it before.

Sirona

• Terry
    Terry

Days of the week have pagan connection with gods and goddesses. So what? Should JW's have renamed the days of the week and be at odds with the rest of the planet just to "purify" their daily affairs?

Our money is rife with non-christian symbols. Should we only barter to avoid being tainted?

The months of the year are tinged with false gods. Shall we just number them?

The list is virtually endless for a very good reason. Everything which exists is built on something which previously was deemed important enough to build on. Otherwise each generation would re-invent the wheel.

This picking and choosing of what is "clean" and what is "pagn" or worldly is the neurotic fetish of a religious group that wants to be contrarian just to display its self-righteousness while alienating those who don't join them.

These are arbitray, capricious and whimsical choices by men with extraordiany neuroses and the power to make their whims a policy which must be followed or else!

When will people decry this nonsense and take back control of their own lives?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom used to be a real snoopy fan and found an assortment of christmas ornaments with various snoopy characters skiing in christmas colors. She snapped them up, and was not worried that they were originally intended to go on a pagan Christmas tree. She knew she was using them for something that had nothing to do with anything she considered pagan. As it was from a christmas clearance sale, there was no doubt what the intent of the figures were. Or their association. This same person is worried about using a tree with 'pagan' connotations, when most modern pagans would have made no connection to the modern christmas tree with their practices of honoring the earth. So a JW can find more connection to a christmas tree with paganism than a Pagan can. That is how nuts the religion is. Big nuts. Brazil, or coconuts big!

Mordecai wouldn't bow down to Haman. . .actual worship. The Jews lived differently, yet for all that, Esther and Mordecai participated in the government and daily life in a fairly major way-without compromising apparently as both Jewish and Christian tradition give them a great deal of honor. Would a JW ride in a limo with the president or shake his hand, advise him or let his daughter marry a politician/King, be vetted to be a concubine perhaps? Become a queen? Hmmm. The most notable, faithful Jews of that time did those things.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Sirona,

Thank you for that little tidbet! Very interesting!!!!!! I made a copy for my files!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Are there any scans available for all of these great references? Having copies of the article(s) these come from could prove invaluable in any Christmas discussion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit