High Achieving Women

by Thirdson 22 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Maria Russell (Charles Taze's wife) was an editor on the Watchtower. She was asked to step down and its been all downhill since then. (I just realized that her sister was married to Charles' dad, as his second wife. Is that correct?)

If the women went on strike and stopped preaching, the preaching work would come to a screeching halt. Jesus sent his followers to preach not to administrate.

• JT
    JT

I let my husband have an ear full when we got home. I recall telling him that the sorriest-assed piece of man was of more value to this dopey organization than the most capable woman.

Sad. Sad then and still sad after all these years.

-AMNESIAN,
    #########
    Just too funny- nice post

james

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Thanks everyone for responding. I love the "sorriest assed piece of man" comment by Amnesian. I am sorry I was ever a part of that religion and supported its abusive system...not that I didn't try to buck the system. In the end the disagreement I had with the elder body boiled down to the different treatment of a sister to a brother.

The articles quoted in the Watchtower from the 50's and 60's contained attitudes prevalent at the time. I sometimes think that family life as portrayed by TV in the 50s is the way many people think it should be--including my mother.

The former Secretary of State, Madelaine Albright, wrote a piece about her high school graduation. The speaker was the then Secretary of State. In his speech he held out the opportunity for the men to reach high office and to serve their country. To the women he expected them to marry, raise families and care for a home. Little did he realize that one young woman would do all of that and in addition take his job as well. I believe Madlaine Albright held the highest position in the US government open to a non-US born citizen. It's a pity that the WTS hasn't noticed that society has changed and it changed for the better.

Everyday women undertake jobs that involve life and death. I have often flown on planes piloted or captained by women. If I get rushed to the ER I am not going to quibble about the gender of the doctor or surgeon in to whose hands I will commit my future health or life. Why then can I not go to a kingdom hall and expect a sister to hold a microphone? Is it a great violation of divine law for a woman to read the Bible out loud stood alone in front of the congregation?

In the early 1990's the London Bethel expanded and they built a 5 story factory building. Although constructed of concrete panels on a steel framework it is faced with red brick. If memory serves me, 7 people did all the brickwork and 5 of them were women. The local branch made a big deal out of this and included a mention in a special insert in the "for Britain" Kingdom Ministry. Such breaking of gender barriers was a welcome change. It just never filtered down to congregation level. But then again, maybe it is in keeping. After all, it is the sister who do most of the work, they just don't get credit or the reward.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit