Apocalypse Delayed By M. James Penton

by Number1Anarchist 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well it might be good to ask Tony Wills for some proof before dragging James Penton's name through the mud Nathan Nates.

Cabasilas - yes Penton cites A People for His Name a few times in the footnotes. He also gives it a mention in the preface or acknowledgements as being a useful source. But there were a couple of times where he used White's (Willis') ideas where I thought he could have made it explicit. If Penton used some of White's material word for word without attribution however I missed that, and I would be interested in seeing proof.

One idea that Penton uses from White is the thought that Russell's family relations may have affected his doctrine. White argued that since Russell had a close and loving relationship with his father he tended to have a similar benign view of God. He could never imagine such a benevolent father torturing people and this is why he found the hellfire doctrine so repugnant. Penton repeats this same argument without acknowledgement. Of course it could simply be that Penton forgot where he read the idea orginally, or indeed forgot he had read it elsewhere at all and thought he had come up with it himself. This is bound to happen from time to time even in generally sound academic work. It is called unintentional plagiarism and can be overlooked as long as the failure to ackowledge is not blatant, the dependency word for word, or so extensive as to be clearly intentional or at least recklessly careless in the failure to give other researchers their due.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Looks like you have change your mind SBF

Kate xx

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I said you could buy Penton's book cheaply if you want to. I didn't say it's the best book available on JWs.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    What happened to Rivington?
  • KateWild
    KateWild
    Well it was in a recommending books thread, looks like you wouldn't recommend it lol xx
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    I enjoyed the third edition ( only one I read ) That said I find he could of done a better job bringing it up to date ass there are some passages that seem stuck in a time warp. Nonetheless a very good source of information well presented factually. A must read for deprogramming.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    No it's a very interesting book. But I have my own favourites like the ones I listed on the other thread
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

Disclosure: I've not read this book but just in perusing due to the recommendations here I notice that he openly discloses source, well at least on this occasion. Wasn't even looking for it just happened to be in one of the first few paragraphs I read. so there's that...

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

What I really think is needed is a book written from the perspective of the Generation X'ers. I say that as those are the folks rapidly awaking at the moment. The baby boomers to a large degree are along in years makes it very difficult for them to leave.

I think the older history is important but at this point there's tons of it out there. Maybe this exists already, I could be uninformed. Pretty new to all of this so feel free to enlighten me, but the point is the GenX perspective would be ideal at this current point in time. Just so many seems daily.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit