Freewill - does it really exist?

by eyeslice 23 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Tired of the Hypocrisy...

"Choosing another path or doing your own will gets you tossed into that hot as hell lake o' fire....If we choose life it is dependant upon doing His (God's) will. Matthew 12:50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

the question would be then...what is Gods will for us?...

Then Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in Me, believes not in Me but in Him who sent Me. And he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me. I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness. And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, [ a ] I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak. And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak.” (john 12:44-50)

If the Father "commands" everlasting life, wouldn't it be wise to tell EVERYONE how to have salvation into the kingdom of heaven...wouldn't that BE the Fathers will?

wouldn't that BE being your brothers keeper instead of killing him?

love michelle

• veradico
    veradico

I tend to think there is no such thing as free will. I see no defense for its existence. Does not Kant treat it as something that simply must be assumed to be an a priori truth implied by the sense of duty? Any mention of moral imperatives presupposes free will, for if we are not autonomous on some level, the whole language of "responsibility," "duty," and "choice" becomes meaningless. However, could it not be that such language, though it may invest humans with a peculiar causal dignity, is mistaken? The language also carries with it the need to "punish" and dispense "justice." If humans are just complex biological machines "doing their thing," there is no need to "punish" or "reward." Rather, society should simply remove defective members from the system until they can be "repaired" or "reformed" and leave functioning members alone. Abuses are possible according to both models of human behavior. Both in the name of just punishment and in the name of healing the sick, people have done terrible things to each other.

• hot mama
    hot mama

No!!!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Freewill only exists within the parameters of your environment and so the success of your attempt to use that freewill remains only relevant to your situation. Freewill can be taken away at any time by government and laws. sammieswife.

• Evidently
    Evidently

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    myelaine's comment to toth

I suppose so, do the will of the Father and live and help others to live.

• bobld
    bobld

If we were created like robots.would free will matter and we we know the difference.You see God did not create us with free will.Why I say this, because it is in his BS bible.Are people happier then animals?

Bob

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill.

F*&^ yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74&feature=related

• jgnat
    jgnat

My recent reading on the mind and the brain is leading me to the conclusion that we do have free will. More than we might imagine.

We are hard-wired for a fair number of instinctual behaviors. We do them so naturally, as a matter of course, we may not even recognize that they are foundational to who we are as human beings. People who are deficient in one or another have a great deal of trouble assimilating. I would say these core values or abilities are ours regardless of the concept of free will. In these fifteen ways, we are hard-wired.

It's not all a bad thing that we are hard-wired to nurture and love.

The existence of "mind" and "thought" separate from the mechanics of an organic brain, is very much possible. In his book, "The Mind and the Brain - Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force", the author Jeffrey Schwartz theorizes that the brain, as a machine, offers multiple choices to the mind. The mind chooses a certain path (free will). As a choice is selected over and over again, the organic brain retains that neuron and the other "choices" or neurons, wither and die off. Aside from the hard-core values listed above, the brain we end up with is largely determined by our choices.

Voila, free will.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

But if freewill doesn't exist, does that mean that sex offenders, drug addicts and people who become JWs or grow up as Jws have absolutely no choice in the actions that they take?

The there is the debate about homosexuality; do we have any freewill when it comes to choosing our sexuality? That this is freewill is the argument of those who condemn gays.

There are those here who would string up sex offenders by the balls. However, I am more of a 'woolly liberal' type and tend to lean to the 'its in their nature + nurture' defense. Understanding and treatment rather than punishment - how can you punish something where freewill was not exercised?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit