"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE"-REALLY???

by Bill Parker 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Bill Parker
    Bill Parker

“UNCONDITIONAL LOVE” REALLY? ?

Some today believe that all anyone has to do is “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.” Just believe that this “unconditional love” is enough for us to gain this “free gift.” Is that correct scriptural reasoning?

To begin this discussion I would like to examine this word “UNCONDITIONAL” in Webster’s New World dictionary.

This dictionary defines this word as: “without conditions or reservations; absolute” This word “absolute” is defined: “without condition or encumbrance” “Condition” is defined: “anything called for as a requirement before the performance or completion of something else”. So those who believe that they are saved merely on the basis of “UNCONDITIONAL LOVE” would have us believe that we can just sit back put our feet up and relax. Everything is taken care of. Does the Bible really support that idea? Is this “free gift” really “without condition” or “requirements?” Is this “UNCONDICTIONAL LOVE ” really enough, so that nothing else is required of us?

We might begin this discussion by looking at some of the scriptures that talk about this “free Gift.”

It becomes clear that certain stipulations are set forth in the Bible for those seeking this “free gift.” Notice what the Apostle Peter had to say about this at Acts 2: 38. “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and ye shall receive the Free gift of the Holy Spirit.” So the first stipulation is we must “repent of our former deeds and “do works that befit repentance” Acts 26: 20. Ephesians 4:17-32 clearly lays out a list of personality traits that must be gotten rid of. When we are able to accomplish that we have done some of the “works that befit repentance.” Without doing that we would never receive that “free gift.” This shows that the idea of “UNCONDITIONAL LOVE” is not at all scripturally sound. There is much more that shows it up to be nothing more than “empty headed reasoning.”

Focus attention now back to the scripture in Acts 2: 38! WE need that “free gift of the Holy Spirit” in order to understand the knowledge necessary for gaining everlasting life in the Kingdom of God. For John 17:3 tells us: “ And this is eternal life: {it means} to know {to perceive, to recognize, become acquainted with, and understand} You, the only true and real God, and {likewise} to know Him, Jesus {as the} Christ {the anointed One, the Messiah} Whom You have sent.” So taking in knowledge of Jehovah and His Son is a prerequisite for those who profess to be followers of Christ. Once taken in it must be imparted to others of like mind. 1 Timothy 4:15,16. If we fail to do either of these the “Free Gift” of the Holy Spirit would be withdrawn. So once it is gained it must be maintained. Gaining knowledge and imparting it to others are conditions that must be kept. So how can it be said that all we have to do is just believe in Christ, have faith in Christ and we will be saved? Some will tell us that “all we need is Faith in that unconditional love Christ displayed by dying for our shortcomings” nothing else is required. How far from the truth can you get than that? Up to this point I have left out the most important truth of all. This one will totally destroy this idea of “UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.” What is that? It is this!

Jesus whole focus while He walked this earth was to preach the Kingdom of God. He said in Luke 4: 43 … “ I must preach the good news of the Kingdom of God … for I was sent for this purpose.” Jesus told us in John 13: 15 that He “set the example for us to follow.” 1John 2:6 adds this to that: “Whoever says he abides in Him ought {as a personal debt} to walk and conduct himself {herself} in the same way in which He walked and conducted Himself.” The Apostle Paul could say because he followed in the footsteps of Christ: Pattern yourselves after me {follow my example} as I imitate and follow Christ.” {1 Corinthians 11:1}

Each Christian today if he wants to gain and maintain God’s Holy Spirit must follow the guidelines laid out in the Bible for doing so. He must firmly plant his feet in the footsteps of Christ and follow Him even if it leads to his death at the hands of cruel persecutors. “UNCONDITIONAL LOVE”? Not a chance! There are conditions! There are requirements that one must fill before this “free gift” is given. Jehovah does not give this gift to those with only a mere “form of godly devotion.”
    In fact His command is to “avoid all such people turn away from them.” 2Timothy 3”5

There are those on this board who are reasonable people. They appreciate someone who is willing to share his knowledge. There are others who only like to drag others down with their nasty comments. They do that because they have little or no knowledge of Jehovah. Lacking that knowledge they lack the proper fear of Him. With nothing positive to offer they attack with slurs and insults and snide innuendoes.

I appreciated the kindly comments of those who listened. As for the others they are really not even worth giving that much attention to.

They will all be happy to know though that I am now deleting this board from my computer. Bye all!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Buh-bye!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Bill,

Wow! What a way to say goodbye!

If you won't be insulted by this question, I ask, do you have the kind of love for the people on this board that is necessary to stay through the tough times? Remember 1 Cor. 13 says Love "bears, hopes, and endures" all things. Are you beyond the point of hope? You cannot endure any longer? You want to take your "love" elsewhere?

If so fine, that's your choice.

But as far as "unconditional" love, you are right. In the Bible its author and his Son have set down conditions, I suppose they have the right to do so.

The question is, do humans have that same authority, seeing that they cannot read people's hearts and minds? When people on this board talk about expecting "unconditional love", I think it means a reasonable degree of tolerance from fellow humans. This is something that isn't always practiced on the board, point well taken.

However, the love issuing forth from the JW organization is and always has been (in recent memory) very conditional and judgmental. Hence, the repulsion to anyone trying to use this board to preach and teach what should/shouldn't be done. We've all been preached at enough, and our souls are weary. Not refreshed, as Jesus said he would do for us at Matt. 11:28.

One further comment. You said,

There are others who only like to drag others down with their nasty comments. They do that because they have little or no knowledge of Jehovah.
    I believe it's true that there is nastiness out here. However, kindness springs from the goodness of one's own heart. Some with great knowledge of Jehovah are unfortunately, very unkind. Some who don't profess to worship Jehovah are some of the kindest people on this board.

Wishing you well in your journeys.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bill

Is that a promise?

SS

• zanex
    zanex

dont let the door hit ya in the azz on the way out...

• ISP
    ISP

Hey Bill, see ya around!

ISP
    PS. Bet ya come back!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

See you, you arse with hands, you.

ashi

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Are you the same Bill Parker from silent lambs?If you are,pick yourself up,dust yourself off and quit your whineing.We need all the decent people we can find.Everybody "Dukes it out" on this board.So take your shots and come out scrappin...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

Outlaw,

That's another Bill. (Bowen)

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thanks Gopher..Bill Parker,nevermind...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit