Cool computer tool

by free2beme 15 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I work in the Internet business and often hear people tell me that they have this great Internet speed and then complain how their computer seems to go slow on the Internet. While it can be viruses and spy ware, often it is you not getting the speed you were promised or pay for from your Cable, DSL or Wireless provider. Test it from time to time and call your provider if you are not getting what you were promised. Better yet, if they can not fix it, ask to have your price lowered to the speed you are actually getting and do not get charged for a speed you are not getting.

http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Just a way to save yourself some money. My friend had 5 Meg DSL from his local phone company and every time I tested it he actually had about a Meg and a half. He called in to get it fixed and they sent a repair man out and he admitted to the friend that he could not make it more. So the phone company stopped charging him for 5M and lowered his bill by $20 per month. Another friend on Cable quickly learned what a shared network does to your promised speed and made the cable company fix his to stop the massive fluctuation. Look out for your own money and do not be overcharged!!!!

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

819 kb/s down 80 kb/s up Wait until the end to get your actual transfer rates. Actual transfer rates are in kilobytes/second (KB/s), not kilobits per second (kbps).

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Yes totally agree with you Free2

By the way the recent release of I.E 8 seems to be pretty good so far has , some added feartures that may be usefull to some

and It's quicker in opening web pages....try it out and see what you

If you google IE8 you should come to the dowload page......by the way its Beta so there may be some glitches

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Download Speed: 1682 kbps (210.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 284 kbps (35.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is what I just got, and I pay $25 per month. Is that good?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Last Result:Download Speed: 1748 kbps (218.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 282 kbps (35.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Interesting--I tried another server that is further away and got a better test. . .

• free2beme
    free2beme

John Doe

If you are paying for 1.5 M, yes ... if not, then no

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've never looked at speed claims by my provider (don't really care about speed), so I don't know. It's just basic cable internet service--the cheapest of three different packages.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Besides, I'll bet that speed claims say something like "up to xxxx speeds," which would be a whole lot different that saying "xxxx speed."

• free2beme
    free2beme

Most speed claims have a range. 1.5-3 or 3-5 ... the up too, is put there to stop you from calling with 2.5 and claiming you were told 3. They are in the range. If you are on low end cable and have 1.5, that sounds about right

• besty
    besty

Last Result: Download Speed: 16003 kbps (2000.4 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 15862 kbps (1982.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Thank you Verizon FIOS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit