Who remembers – the NWT Bible on 3.5 inch Floppy Disks?

by eyeslice 14 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

At the dawn of the age of the PC, before the advent of the CD, when PCs had 10 mg hard drives and when few people had PCs at home, the Society brought out what at the time was an amazing piece of software: the NWT Bible for the PC.

I think it came on something like 12 3.5 inch floppy disks, which took an eternity to load, but as a piece of software was really cool at the time. It allowed for a full text search way before Yahoo and Google ever were thought of. You should note however, that this search feature was a commercial product and not some invention of the Society.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Oh yeah, I remember the disks. You're right; it took an absurdly long time to load the software for some reason. Maybe heavy compression was used that required a lot of processing power to decompress. Who knows.

If I remember correctly, it was a Folio-based application.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I remember them on 5 1/4 floppies as well as 3.5 inch floppies!! Oh yes -DOS 5.0 ??

• metaspy
    metaspy

Remember?!? I HAVE them on 3.5" floppy disks and 5.25" floppy disks.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have a set, too. 7 disks.

S

• Ozner
    Ozner

Yes I remember. I remember I showed my father "look, the society uses the computer! Watch, this floppy, it's realy true".

It was a statement, because the opinion in the congregation was that using computers was not something "the society" wanted.

There was a BOE letter saying no use of computers in the congregation.

Good times. Confusing times. Then the internet got introduced, and I found on a site of brothers much information. Does anyone

remember MPtech.com? That was the site with downloads about us witnesses... Later on I found hourglass... and JWD some years later!

Ozner

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I remember them - but only because my ex-wife got them, and then wanted them to be installed on a computer at home.

(I was already 'out' - having faded many years prior)

At the time - all I had that resembled an IBM was what was known as a Bridgeboard (286-ish) that I had in my Amiga computer. I installed her software, and then had to look up, and print out all of the scriptures that were referenced in the Watchtower's for the Sunday meetings. This took me quite a while - working at 286 speeds.

But... I would do it for her - and off she would go - paper printouts in hand - to her meetings.

Yup... I remember those diskettes.

Regards,

Jim TX

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is like a trip down memory lane.

There is nothing more manly than computing from a C: prompt.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

There is nothing more manly than computing from a C: prompt.

How true! Thank goodness we still have Unix/Linux for real men.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have a set of the 3.5 ones.

Reckon I can get $1.00 for them on e~bay?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit