In praise of my NHS dentist!

by Gill 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Well, I've had a bit of an unpleasant couple of weeks.

However, in contemplating what happened I realised how grateful I am to the people who have helped me and so I'll tell you what happened.

We, in the UK, here a lot of not so good things about our NHS dentists. The governement also do not give them the respect and pay they deserve though I am sure there are, as always, some not so good ones amongst them.

Here is what happened to me. About ten days ago I needed to have an old root canalled tooth out as it had been repeatedly getting infected.

The dentist pulled it out, with some difficulty as it had odd shaped roots. However, the gaping hole became infected and I had something called dry socket. I went back and was given antiibiotics and a dressing in the root. But this was not getting better. I went back and was told that the bone from the jaw was sticking into the cavity and this was not going to heal up without surgical intervention. I was given more antibiotics to see how things fared and to settle the infection for a few days but the pain was increasing.

I went back to the dentist who saw me straight away. He then proceeded to numb the area, take out his surgical saw, cut out all the extra bone, stitch me up, and look after me for half an hour, along with his nurses while I recovered.

During the procedure as I lay there watching bone from my jaw fly willy nilly in the air, I wondered what kind of horrendous pain I would be in for when the local anaesthetic wore off!!

I can report there was less pain than there was before I had the procedure, and though I look like I've been run over by a bus ( ) I am actually feeling much better.

All this for the total cost of £44.60, including the surgery that had to be done. Bargain or what!? And what about the instant care and treatment!?

This was priceless!

I think of people all over the world who are not so lucky. People who suffer immeasureable pain and are not so lucky as myself. Had my wound been left open I might well have suffered even a life threatening infection shortly and I realise how blessed and fortunate I have been.

So, thank you NHS! But most of all, thanks to my fantastic dentist and his team! I am forever grateful!

Thanks Mr Au!!

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Glad you had a happy ending to your tooth issue Gill.

When the NHS comes up with the goods it can't be beat. You got a good deal there.

I just had 2 wisdom teeth pulled last week, no stitches, no swelling, so far so good. A wonderful surgeon but $1000 thank you very much.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi SweetPea!

Glad everything went so well with your wisdom tooth extraction.

The cost for your treament was eyewatering however! But, I'm sure it was worth every penny spent!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Not only did he save you a lot of pain, he may have saved your heart.

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/heart_and_oral_health.htm

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Gill

In the U.S. we often hear of the failure of the NHS of various nations. It has been used by many here to discourage it. It has become a political issue in the past few years. As a result, millions of people have no coverage at all. It has to be one of the great domestic failures of our nation.

However, we seem to be inching closer to it now. And I believe eventually it will be policy in this country. In the mean time, the medical and pharmaceudical industries rule supreme.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Gill,

I agree with you the NHS has its bad side, but mainly it damn good.

Last year I had dental work done and paid the maximum you do as a NHS patient which was £190. (aprrox $95)

The problem with the dentists goes back to the founding of the NHS in 1948, for some reason they didn't included dentistry in the original set up.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We have private dentistry here in Canada, though health care is nationalized. Most Canadians purchase private dental insurance of one kind or another, or their employer covers them on their behalf. I get 50% to 80% coverage, depending on what is being done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit