WT has a TV commercial

by uncle jimbo 16 Replies latest jw friends

• uncle jimbo
    uncle jimbo

It seems the WT is making forays into TV. Seems like something Jimmy Swaggart would do. :-)

http://www.witnessesonline.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/witnessesonline/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000277&p=

I've seen the commercial several times. It airs on the local station at 5am. I thought it was a Mormon commercial the first 3 times I saw it.

from WOL:

Yes, there is a tv commercial that is presently running in 20 states.
    They are not paying for nor receiving anything for it.
    It is classified as a public announcement' and the TV station wants to
    do something for the community so are running these kinds of commercials.
    It ends with from the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses".

I told the media dept. that was unusual as I would think it would say
    Watchtower Society. They told me that is now our legal name (since they
    made those changes in the legal corporation last year.)

They plan on running more all depending on how this one is received and
    how many respond to it.. So, it would be good for us to write them and
    tell them what we think about it after we have seen it.

I think the Dateline show will get more of a response.
  • 25ashitaka25
    25ashitaka25

They should run a commerical with the script:

"Do you love abusers...we do too! Come be a Jehovah's Witness, where you can diddle your children and molest people's consciences with yours. Feel free to play volleyball and watch the Princess Bride, while simultaneously beating your children senseless.....come worship with us..."

(ends with happy go lucky music)

• OhHappyDay
    OhHappyDay

if this is true we all should write to the editor of the broadcast network and tell them some truths about the WTBTS, maybe they will start to charge for the advertisement...!

Happy Day for us.
    Bad Day for the Watchtower.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

how grateful we are that
    Jehovahs name continues to
    be spread to many who have not yet
    heard it

• metatron
    metatron

No, WRITE to the station manager locally, not the network.

Tell him that the Watchtower Society is very wealthy and can
    easily afford to pay for running such spots.

Also, tell him that the Mormons (Latter Day Saints) have
    paid to put their public service announcements on the air,
    in various places, like New York state. The Watchtower
    shouldn't get a free ride - especially in view of their
    abusive policies.

metatron

• TR
    TR

This commercial must be running on the public access channel- a freebee.

Now, I'd LOVE to see a WT commercial on primetime network TV. That would get some responses. Actually, I don't understand why they don't do it. Wouldn't some dupes order the WT rags? Might be worth their while.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• blondie
    blondie

No Public Service Announcements (PSAs) are run on major channels at the discretion of the local affiliate depending on their schedule. I think they are legally required to assign so much time to them. Like the no drugs and no smoking ads.

• metatron
    metatron

Most public service announcements are run simply to fill
    program breaks when commercials aren't available.

Bonneville Communications used to put out some really well
    crafted spots - and I repeat, the Mormons would pay for them
    sometimes. Why shouldn't the Watchtower do the same?

metatron

• joelbear
    joelbear

Sounds like the boys up there have hired a new PR/Marketing firm.

Clearly Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses is less obtrusive than Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

And much more likely to get free advertising through PSA's.

We may have found the real reason for the corporate reorg and renaming.

Joel

• mustang
    mustang

I remember going door-door on Sunday morning with Dad once and being invited in while someone was listening to Herbert Armstrong on radio (maybe TV??; it's been 30+ years). Dad took it as a good opening shot
    and preached on after Armstrong finished.

The old WBBR radio station was shut down & they don't carry the networked station links that they did decades ago. WTS is missing a good opportunity and should upgrade it's ancient PR practices. If it resulted in a response, they might phase out door-door. You can dream, can't you???

And whoever said write the station manager, yes, do this by all means. Inform them that you don't see this as a Public Service, due to various features of the controversial nature of JW's.

The staff of Broadcast Stations is relatively small; while the listening audience will be in the thousands, the written feedback will be relatively small. Your voice will be proportionately large, here.
    This is one instance where local, grassroots reactions have an effect.

Broadcast Stations do maintain a log of these announcements to fulfill regulatory requirements.

BTW, do they advertise to crank up local Catholic church attendance as a PSA? How about the latest revival of the Pentecostal's; is that a Public Service Announcement? Is a 'plug' for a normal, run-of-the-mill church service, WHICH IS NOT CHARITY ORIENTED, a Public Service???

I would ask those questions. There could be stations that do make such announcements on a gratis basis. But the ones that expect churches to pay along with all the other commercial or business establishments should be aware that you question the validity of the WTS claim. If there is doubt, push it to the 'pay along with everybody else' route.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit