Vatican Says "Yahweh" Not to Be Pronounced

by betterdaze 35 Replies latest social current

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

And a follow up question:

When Jesus was not quoting the Old Testament, how often did he utter the name Jehovah (according to the New World Translation)?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One of the WTS's favorite proof texts regarding the issue of Jesus using the name Jehovah is John 17:26:
    "And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them."

I always thought that they were really stretching by insisting that this scripture must (or, in WTS parlance, evidently, apparently, no doubt) mean that Jesus pronounced the divine name.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

If John 17:26 meant that Jesus was talking about pronouncing the name Jehovah, then why didn't he do it there? Or, in the Lord's prayer?

I've never found one verse in the New Testament where Jesus utters the name "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" in a prayer.

"Name" also means "reputation" or "character." The fact that Jesus did not utter the name "Jehovah" in John 17 or Matthew 6 shows that the Watchtower's interpretation of those verses is fallacious.

And, if Jesus didn't utter the name Jehovah in his prayers, then maybe the Catholic Church is right not to do so in its liturgical worship?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

David2002,

I didn't mean to ignore the rest of your comments. What I wanted to do was to cite two specific examples that clearly show that the Watchtower's interpretation does not make sense. For an in-depth look at this issue, I'd recommend Doug Mason's "Witnessing the Name":

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/thename.htm

It gives a good response to the claims made by the Watchtower Society regarding the name Jehovah and its place for Christians today.

• LovingLifeNow
    LovingLifeNow

The Name of GOD is why my Dad said he came into this religion..Not sure if it was for alot of people, but I remember assembly parts that would have demonstrations and this is one reason they came into the so called "Truth"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As a born-in, I, in my total ignorance, believed that Jehovah or Yahweh was the name of god. And I hung on far longer in the Cult thinking that, despite all the problems I could see with the Borg, god must have something to do with it, after all, his name was upon it !

I was also ignorant of how many other churches actually had the name in their Title, Church of Yahweh etc.

They shouldn't need something as tenuous as this spurious use of a mispronounced name to prove they "have the truth, by "their fruits" we should plainly see it.

Sadly, the opposite is true, their "fruits" of rampant Child Abuse, violently rending families apart, and shunning anyone who leaves the "religion" for whatever reason they left the Cult, plus their use of blatant lies, proves that if "truth" came up behind them and bit them on the arse they would not recognize it !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit