Jehovah spares those with mark on forehead--Watchtower

by cameo-d 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

In 612 B.C.E., a vision transports Ezekiel to Jerusalem. What detestable things he sees happening in God's temple! When Jehovah sends his heavenly executional forces (represented by "six men") to express his anger at the apostates, only those who have received 'a mark on the forehead' will be spared.

The Watchtower July 1, 2007

p. 11, column 2 para. 2

Revelation 14:9-11 (new international version)

9 A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10 he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

Does this look like it is in direct opposition to scripture? Am I reading this right?

• blondie
    blondie

"There would be "a great crowd" out of all nations who would not experience death but would have the prospect of living forever on earth. Are you among them?... The great crowd support the small number of those with heavenly hopes, who take the lead in the preaching work. …Those of the great crowd are pictured as being marked for survival. (Ezekiel 9:4-6) "The mark" is the evidence that they are dedicated to Jehovah, baptized as disciples of Jesus, and involved in cultivating a Christlike personality." Worship the Only True God (2002) p.124

The mark in Ezekiel is not considered the same as that one in Revelation by the WTS. Never have.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Cameo-D,

Your quote from the 2007 Watchtower is in reference to the marking in the book of Ezekiel. In that prophecy, a mark means you're saved.

The 'mark' in Revelation is one of support of the world's system, and that mark means you're dead meat.

So the WTS used the proper context -- at least this time.

• sir82
    sir82

You're not reading the right scripture.

The "mark on the forehead means salvation" comes from Ezekiel chapter 9, not Revelation. Completely different scenario, completely different books, written centuries apart.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Two different "marks".

The mark in Ezekiel is a mark for survival.

The mark in Revelation is the Mark of the Beast, leading to destruction.

om

p.s. Sorry for double info. Got interrupted before I hit send.

• reniaa
    reniaa

LOL how easily using the same word for two completely different things can cause confusion ^^

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    LOL how easily using the same word for two completely different things can cause confusion ^^

Yes, and I am sure WT will use it to their advantage to blur the lines.

"The mark" is the evidence that they are dedicated to Jehovah, baptized as disciples of Jesus, and involved in cultivating a Christlike personality."

Blondie thank you for the quote. But I am going to tell you all that from an outsider's perspective I see some things here that are very wrong.

First of all, the quote in Ezekiel says nothing about baptized as disciples of Jesus...because Jesus had not even come on the scene as yet. So in the Watchtower quote, this is a gross misrepresentation. By saying "the mark" (of Ezekiel) is evidence they are cultivating a christlike personality" this is totally out of that time zone. This is blurring the lines of past and present. This is a wicked subliminal distortion.

Second of all, the quote in Ezekiel says the mark is for those who are lamenting and grieving over all the bad things happening. This does not describe any active JW that I know. When you mention to a JW that 70 people died in a flood, there is absolutely no compassion. It is usually met with a remark like "well, it's going to get worse" or "if they're worthy they get a resurrection". There is absolutely no grieving for any bad thing...it is simply accepted like "so what". It's a very selfish uncaring attitude. They don't need to help anyone or care how bad off they are because "jehovah is going to take care of it" so they don't even need to trouble their minds to think about anyone's distress, much less lifting a hand to help. And what's more, some get really excited at the prospect of bad things happening. It reminds me of the scripture Amos 5:18 "woe unto you who desire the day of Jehovah"...but that's the dub attitude. They absolutely desire "the day of Jehovah"! They just can't wait. Already got their house picked out from the observation field work .

Now, getting back to the July 2007 issue....there is a lot of subliminal undertones in the way they are using this language. They are making allusions to the future by using the past events of Ezekiel. The verb tenses are incongruent. They go back and forth from using past tense to present tense. These are subliminal tricks and the wording is skewed.

like this:

(p.13)

"9:3-6. Acquiring the mark--the evidence that we are dedicated, baptized servants of God " ---let me stop here for a minute

when did god institute baptism? Again, in Ezekiels time who had been baptized?

Do you see how using "the mark" and "baptism" in the same sentence is incongruent?

"9:3-6. Acquiring the mark--(long sentence break diffracting the thought)--is essential for surviving the "great tribulation". (Matthew24:21)

See how they are mixing old with the new?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I wonder if deliberate anachronism is used as a subtle thought reform technique?

• blondie
    blondie

cameo, it is good to remember that an ex-jw reporting what the WTS teaches is not evidence of agreement. It seems that leaving the WTS indicates they have left most of the WTS teachings.

Blondie

• White Dove
    White Dove

My son has a scar on his forehead. I wonder which one it is...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit