whats up with the Knight in Armor being stabbed on the original WT's

by IreallydidwalkoutofaKH 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have a somewhat different view. Seeing that Russell's Society was obstensibly dedicated to Bible study, it is more reasonable, I think, to see those illustations as a visual representation of part of Ephesians 6:13-17

13 On this account take up the complete suit of armor from God, that YOU may be able to resist in the wicked day and, after YOU have done all things thoroughly, to stand firm.

14 Stand firm, therefore, with YOUR loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and with YOUR feet shod with the equipment of the good news of peace. 16 Above all things, take up the large shield of faith, with which YOU will be able to quench all the wicked one’s burning missiles. 17 Also, accept the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word,...

In addition to these implements we see a shepherd's crook and a battle axe. The crook is symbolic of the fine shepherd, Jesus Christ, and the battle axe is symbolic of Charles' wife, Maria.

ok, I was kidding about Maria.

The old, old legend about Russell's Masonic entanglement has been thoroughly debunked in the past. The argument is as silly as claiming that Russell was influenced by STAR TREK.

• blondie
    blondie

Barbara Anderson's research that the mason's historical organization has no record of Russell or his father as members.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/98890/1.ashx

• james_woods
    james_woods

Remember when we used to have an almost monthly rant on early JWism and Masonic influence? Sometimes it even went into the Illuminati!!!

My grandfather was a 33rd degree Mason, and a Shriner - and was a Presbyterian with a fairly prominent business background like that of Russell. This was not considered anything spooky or evil back in those days; in fact it was almost a required credential for non-catholic business people of political leaders.

I think there can be little question that some of the terminology or graphic effects of the Masonic Order somehow found there way into both the U.S. political artwork, and that of the early Bible Students.

I do not hold with any particular conspiricy theory being involved, nor that the early Watchtower was controlled in any way by Masons.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ireallydid walkoutofaKH said,

I noticed that the cross in the crown is at an angle....possibly it is at a 32 decrees and was not Charles Russel also considered a Knight Templar, which would have been a 32 decree freemason?

By my measure, it is 22 degrees.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    By my measure, it is 22 degrees.

You have answered correctly, Nathan Hiram. By such measured reasoning was our founder Russell led to the kingdom date 1914.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I really don't think the suit of armor is "stabbed" through by the weapons or shepherd's crook. I think, rather, that it is superimposed upon them. In any case, this symbol along with the crown and the cross were used by many organizations that had no connections with the Masons. I don't think any factual evidence has been presented that links the Watchtower with the Masons.

However, there is an interesting footnote to the history of the Masons. A former member, William Morgan, from Batavia, N.Y. disclosed some of the secret signs and rituals that were used by the Masons. Morgan was kidnapped and disappeared in 1826. Many thought he was murdered by a conspiracy of the organization. A strong Anti-Mason movement sprang up from this incident. There was even an Anti-Mason political party formed. It lasted well beyond the 1830s. It interesting that some conspiracy theorists still use the old propaganda to promote their views.

• 1914BS
    1914BS

IT's a witchtower!!!!

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

One thing is for sure about JWD...is that you can not post something incorrect and it stand the test of time!!!!!!! However, my take on the cross being at a tilt...is still in question. I just happened to listen to someone give their take on why. I may have misunderstood them. But I thought they said it was at 32 decrees although I have been corrected. But why the tilt??????????????/

• james_woods
    james_woods
    But I thought they said it was at 32 decrees although I have been corrected. But why the tilt??????????????/

One possibility, not nearly as much fun as a conspiricy theory, but certainly a reasonable thing to consider - is:

Maybe the artist just drew it that way because he thought it looked good.

I have a book on phi (the so-called Golden Ratio)...it goes at length to expose the hundreds of examples of "art historians" who try to attribute all kinds of almost mystical usage of this ratio in ancient architecture, art, and engineering. The point that the author makes is that if you try hard enough to find this ratio (1.618...) between two lines in a rectangle, arm length versus leg lenth of a figure, etc...you can get a lot of approximate estimates.

But he points out that this would be attributing motive without evidence, unless the artist is actually documented as saying that some particular measurement really meant something in his own mind when he did the painting.

I have long thought that a lot of engravers (like of U.S. money, etc.) may have used "Masonic" symbols inadvertantly because they were impressive or pretty - and that they may not have even known they were particularly Masonic in origin.

One man's star could be a Satanic pentagram, another man's star could be a General's military honor, or just a good-looking mag wheel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit