Just want to introduce myself

by cjones 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Evidently,

Sorry to hear about your s-i-l. The story sounds rather shocking. If it became public knowledge in your community (a newspaper story, etc.) that the JW's were rejecting a member because she left her husband for fear of violence against her or her baby, and then threatened to reject her parents as well if they didn't throw her out, I think that would bring some very unwelcome attention to the JW's. Perhaps it would cause them to change their position. Maybe there is more to the story, but when I was in, there was a policy that under extreme cases involving violence, a woman had a right to leave her husband. She just couldn't remarry unless he committed "adultery" first.

This is what it says in writing, but in my experience, it's not what happens IRL. A battered wife is encouraged to stay with her abuser first. If she refuses, then she is required to prove adultery on the batterers part if she wants to have a chance to remarry. This is true even in the case when the woman's life is in danger. My jw husband was committed twice by force to mental institutions in two different states. The result was the same in both congregations. It's hard to tell why the s-i-l is being df'd. In my case, I didn't know that there was an option to fade. I was so desperate to get away from this dangerous man that I offered to d'a myself, and the elders, who btw, showed up at my home unannounced and uninvited, said that they would df me instead. And they did. The s-i-l could've been df'd simply for her indignation that the organization insists that she either stay with an unbalanced, abusive husband or hang around to prove his infidelity, regardless of her safety.

If you read the experiences under "Battered Lambs" at silentlambs.org, you will see that the stories are basically all the same. The woman is mentally and/or physically abused, and the elders' answer is for HER to be a better wife and wait on Jehovah. The abusive husband is seldom disciplined. When the situation becomes unbearable or too dangerous for the woman to remain in the marriage, indignation develops, because the requirements of the organization are too stringent and really don't make sense. The VICTIM is made out to be the criminal. People who are at their breaking point or whose lives are in danger will do anything to get away from the abusive situation. Being a battered wife in the organization is very similar to being a molested child. There is no graceful way to protect yourself, keep your sanity and stay in the cult, because the way the rules are set up is that the abuser continues to have domination over the abused, even after they are physically removed from the situation.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, cjones. Some great "UBM"'s, or "unbelieving mates" are checking in here. They are living your life, and I might add, tackling the society and the Watchtower prejudices with flair.

I totally agree that counselling will help. Go yourself and learn to put the whole experience in context. Find new strategies. Get some hope.

Steve Hassan's work www.freedomofmind.com helped me by first learning to recognize the genuine personality, and second, to learn to address the two sides of my Witness husband's personality in different ways.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Hello cjones!

I'm so sorry about your husband. It's a heartbreaking situation. Educating yourself about the WTS is one of the best things you can do. Then, if you could try to very gently & respectfully plant seeds of doubt in his mind about the organization.

May I suggest Rev. Wilbur Lingle's book: Approaching Jehovah's Witnesses In Love: How To Witness Effectively Without Arguing. This book has been a God-send for me......as I'm trying to help my son see that the WTS organization is NOT what it claims to be. Rev Lingle has come up with some excellent questions to ask our JW loved ones & friends. Questions that will make them think for themselves......instead of just swallowing whole what the WTS feeds them.

Blessings to you,

Lavendar

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Hi Cjones,

Thanks for sharing your story. Just knowing you have support of like minded people will help. What does your husband say about the sex abuse cases and the way the organization handles them? Doctrine may not get his attention but as a father, how can he accomadate this? Does he want to take the kids to meetings ? I hope he sees the light. Sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can. You are in our thoughts!

• Evidently
    Evidently

I did a bad job of explaining the situation.......the father and my SIL were never married, they lived together for about 18 months.......so now you know why they are DF'ing her. The baby is pretty much evidence of forny.

The issue of course is that she hasn't had anything to do with the Borg for years and yet they are now pursuing her for DF'ing. I realize it is not un-common to be DF'd but geesh, she wan't bothering anyone, the parents still went to all of the meetings and out in service she had no effect on their faith and had no intentions of doing so. Under the unique situation, you'd think they would leave her alone.

Contacting the press has crossed my mind, it will cause problems for the parents so that is my only hesitation.

cjones, sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread......just letting you know your not alone in this struggle.

• cjones
    cjones

Thanks again for all of your responses and sharing your heartfelt stories with me, there is comforting in knowing that I am not the only one experiencing the effects a cult has on its members. I believe in knowledge is power and attitude is everything. I am working on both.

Evidently, it is not necessary to apologize, thank you for another example of just how warped and twisted the Borg is.

No More Kool Aid, yes I did inform my husband of the child/sexual abuse cases, their outcome, the settlement amounts, and he refuses to acknowledge that there is a serious problem in the way the organization handles those situations. He did take our son to the meetings a while back w/o my knowledge (sneaky, right??) and when my son refused to listen to me when I attempted to show him a verse in the Bible/KJV re: false prophets I knew then that I was in for a long and tough battle, however I took a very strong stand and prevented my son from attending. Shortly afterwards we were invited to attend a local church which takes the word of God very seriously,and we have been going ever since. We love our bible class, the sermons and all of the other activities that they have for the youth and adults plus he has made many new friends.

Lavender, I remember when you first posted on jwd and my heart went out to you. I will order Rev. Wilbur Lingle's book: Approaching Jehovah's Witnesses In Love: How To Witness Effectively Without Arguing. I wish you much strength in your struggle with your son.

Jgnat, you are so right about the two personalities, one is the man I fell in love with and the other is the JW persona aka head of the household aka the ogre aka Mr Everything is black or white, ughhh : ( It drives me nuts. Unfortunately, I am seeing less and less of the original hubby. Btw, I have one of Steve Hassan's book on reserve at the library, I forgot which one but I should be hearing from them soon, its been a while.

bye for now.

cjones / a mom

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Ms. Jones:

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your situation. Sometimes life can take some confusing turns. I don't have anything more to offer than what has already been said here. Just know you are among friends. If your marriage is good otherwise maybe you can find some common ground. I still believe in a higher power so I am will ask of something for you tonight.

Take care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit