10/15/08 WT - (Finally) seeing the light on out of context quotes?

by sir82 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

In the 10/15/08 WT, page 16, there is a very small filler article on a 15th century German Cardinal who used the name "Jehovah" (or its equivalent in 15th century German, at least) in a sermon he wrote. Sorry, no scanner.

Anyway, part of that sermon he wrote, in which he references the name "Jehovah", is quoted.

But wait a minute, what's this? There's a little asterisk in the sentence giving the name of the sermon (which has been preserved down to today).

And the little asterisk points to a footnote, which reads:

"* The sermon was in support of the trinity."

How about that? After hundreds if not thousands of examples of lifting quotes completely out of context, from documents supporting the exact opposite of the point the Society is trying to make, after numerous decades of repeating the same deception....now, in 2008, they finally acknowledge that one of their sources promotes a "pagan" idea? Of course, the point of the article is that someone 500+ years ago used the name "Jehovah", but still...

Why the sudden change in policy? JWs are trained NOT to look into original sources, "just let the FDS do the research for you!" Certainly no active JW would take the time to research into the writings of a rather obscure 15th century cleric, would they?

Or would they?

Are they finally acknowledging, if ever so slightly, that they are being caught, over and over again in their out-of-context quotation deceptions? Are they bowing, if ever so grudgingly, to pressure from critics (or - gasp! - JWs) who are calling them on it over and over again? Are they finally, after a decade, recognizing that they can't get away with so much in the internet age, when research that used to take days, weeks, even months, can be done in minutes?

Just though it was interesting. I don't ever recall such an acknowledgement being put into an article.

• blondie
    blondie

Maybe there are too many inquiring minds out there using Google. I understand that the Proclaimers book was developed in response to all the WT information on the internet. Not that it helped that much. I know several who left the WTS after reading the history of the WTS in that book.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Did I read that right? October 15th Watchtower is out in August?

• sir82
    sir82
    I understand that the Proclaimers book was developed in response to all the WT information on the internet.

I don't understand this - The Proclaimers book was released in 1993, and obviously written over the course of several years beforehand. Only the geekiest of the geeks were on the internet then, and there wasn't 1 / 1000 of the infomation available then as compared to now.

"All the WT information being discovered and published by Ray Franz, Jim Pention, et. al." I could see.

• kzjw
    kzjw

who's got the PDF link for download?

• sir82
    sir82
    Did I read that right? October 15th Watchtower is out in August?

Yup.

If you have an MP3 player, you can get the audio version of the November 15 WT right now from www.jw.org.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm not saying that the information wasn't out there in other forms, but it was more accessible on the internet and more secretly. It is one thing to try and read something at home in hardcover and conceal it and to be able to have access on the computer and conceal it.

• sir82
    sir82
    I'm not saying that the information wasn't out there in other forms, but it was more accessible on the internet

In 1993 the information was more accessible on the internet?

You had a better connection than I did then!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

The footnote is probably a warning so that people WONT look it up. Otherwise some "faithful ones" might find it, print it out, and share it around. But this little warning will put a stop to that.

• blondie
    blondie

All I know is from ex-jws who were out there then in the various sites that allowed exchange of information. I know it was primitive but growing. I can remember when 2 elders showed me that they had received electronic copies of the bound volumes and had them stored on their computer. It was shortly after that they were told to stop doing that and then the WTS developed the WT-CD. I know that the WTS already had this information on disk, but were not sharing it with the rank and file. Perhaps my sources were inaccurate or I misunderstood, but I know that the last info on the WTS history was the 1975 yearbook and only 18 years later did the WTS come out with the Proclaimers book. I never saw anything about 1874 in an accessible WTS publication until the Proclaimers book.

I bow to your superior knowledge, sir82.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit