Have a nice Doomsday

by excito-are 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• excito-are
    excito-are

Just been reading Nicholas Guyatt book on why 50 million Americans believe the apocalypse will take place in their lifetime.

A lot of the book is about Tim LaHaye's books on the end of the world - the left behind series. Interesting paragragh states the following

"Unlike other prophecy preachers of more recent vintage, Tim has been publishing End Times books for thirty five years. Todays apocalyptic Christians are united in their rejection of date-setting: no one wants to look a fool by insisting that the Rapture will happen in a particular year, and the mantra from phophecy preachers is that we are living in the season of Christ's return but we can't pinpoint an excct time. But the beginning of the end is now so old that some of Tim's predictions are catching up on him. Throughout the book, he returns to the First World War as a crucial event in phophecy; this was the conflict that started the prophectic countdown, he argues. It was also the war which made possible the State of Israel and the United Nations, each of which would play a crucial role in the End Times. In the final pages, Tim predicts that the generation which grew up during the first World War - people born between 1900 and 1909 - will also witness Christ's return. There's the usual fuzzy maths here, as Tims concedes that a 'Generation may be seventy or eighty years, perhaps even longer. But he insists that we should't expect 'the entire generation to pass away before Jesus returns'. Since the youngest of that generation will be ninety-eight by now, and we're still waiting on the Rapture, this is a rare slip-up in Tim's carefully managed prophetic calendar."

Wonder if he will change the meaning of generation? Its not too dis-similar to previous Watchtower teachings regards WW1 and Generation. I wonder if he got a few of his ideas from the Watchtower? The more you read on these subjects the more you ask yourself how can the Witnesess think Babylon the Great has fallen when so many Christians are out there waiting on Christ. What's your thoughts on this?

Excito

• yknot
    yknot

Here is Billy X's Australian recap..."Leaving babylon the great no longer fleeing from false to true religion, now it is fleeing from material things and possibly geographical.( used this as a reason to not waste time on education)"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/153571/1.ashx

• jgnat
    jgnat

This book piqued my interest.

Expecting Armageddon: Essential Readings in Failed Prophecy by Jon R. Stone

I'll let you know if it is good.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Everything happens on Thursday..When Armageddon comes,it will be on a Thursday.............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• yknot
    yknot

Outlaw.....everything happens in OCTOBER !!!.......

• reniaa
    reniaa

because you said that Outlaw it will be on a wednesday just so your not expecting it.....ooops now i said that i might be a tuesday ^^

• yknot
    yknot

Okie Dokie......I did some Emailing and calling around....

I was able to get both the Hawaiian and Sydney Locsh talks...he doesn't stick to a script word for word...(hmm not as much of a company-man after all?)

Babylon hasn't fallen......Apparenly once 'false religion' does 'fall' there might be a comet or some 'celestial' occurance...

PM me if you want a MP3 of the talks.....( I will get them to you tomorrow or later tonight.)

I am logging off now to watch a movie....TTFN

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Babylon hasn't fallen......Apparenly once 'false religion' does 'fall' there might be a comet or some 'celestial' occurance...

Doesn't it seem that Babylon is more than just false religions? According to the scripture (below), it implies to me that Babylon is religion, politics, and commerce. All of these things have come from Babylon---weights and measures, coinage, all originated there and have to do with commerce. The idea of cities and governance came from Caaninites. And we all know about the deceptions and lies of all religions. It is just another way to exercise control over the masses.

According to this scripture, and please tell me if I am wrong, but it seems to say to me that Babylon is still deeply ingrained in ALL of our "systems" and way of life today. Also, to me this scripture implies that it will not "fall" until the very end when Jesus comes.

Rev:19:19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth. Their armies were gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army. 20 But the beast was captured and with him the false prophet who did the miracles for the beast. The false prophet had used these miracles to trick those who had the mark of the beast and worshiped his idol. The false prophet and the beast were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. 21 And their armies were killed with the sword that came out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds ate the bodies until they were full.

Doesn't this mean that before babylon can fall, or be destroyed, that we would have to know who the beast and false prophet are and it would be very obvious?

Thank you.

• reniaa
    reniaa

The babylon arguement is quite interesting, we are born into the position religion has in our society and cultures atm, How would someone born a couple of centuries ago from any religion, view the position religion has in society now?

when thinking on "doomsday" as a serious subject, The common analogy of "putting a frog into boiling water and it jumping out but then slowly heating it up in water to boiling point and it dying without any attempt to save itself" comes to mind and has me mentally still worrying.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Sects and cults pointing to "Doomsday" within a generation use the same format and nearly the same words while stating they have special understanding or "Truth." I guess it proves that if you tell a big enough lie, they (followers) will come.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit