.....Satellite Internet.....

by OUTLAW 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

I used Starband satellite internet for several years until our local phone company got DSL. Aside from a couple blackouts from heavy rain clouds each year it worked real well. The delay would keep you from using any Voip applications. It was a huge step up from dail up. When our phone co. offered dial up it was half the price of Sat service so I switched. The same dish was also our TV reciever which we still use.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

BrentR..Thanks for the info and pic..If I get just a basic set up..I can download 34times faster and upload 4.5times faster..That will be a big step up for me!............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• BrentR
    BrentR

I was the eighth person in WA state to get Starband. It had a few bugs and software conflicts at first but within a year it was working real well. Snow can also block the signal until you go out and clear it with a broom. During the spring and fall at certain lower latitudes the sun can be right behind the satellite and also overload it for a couple minutes.

Back 2002 we had a large earthquake and the phone lines were completely overloaded. It was handy to be able to email w/o a phone line. We have also had our phone go out several times and still be able to surf the net and email.

I would still be using it if it was the same price as DSL. But DSL was half the cost and the same speed.

• restrangled
    restrangled

We tried satellite years ago and also DSL when it first came out.

DSL was OK, but the dish system was horrible. With thunderstorms every afternoon and/or cloud cover, it worked little to none at all when you wanted to use it.

If you can't get cable, I would try DSL first.

Good luck!

r.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Inunya/BurntheShips..I`ve never heard of such a thing!..My computer is`nt a lap top..Could I still use that card?..

You bet. The USB version will work just fine, just plug it into the PC after you've installed the softwaew-----provided there is decent coverage where you live.

There are also wireless routers that you can plug these cards into, and you can connect several computers to these:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=dir-450

I use one at work as an emergency internet link in case the main connection goes down. I take it home on weekends, works great.

BTS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Restrangled..Hey Girl!..No cable in the wilderness..I wish!..Its Dial-up or Satellite..Last night Dial-Up was working at 26.8kbp..Satellite will give me 1.0MB ..Thats 37.3 times faster than dial up!..LOL!!..............My best to you and the family.....................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

BTS..Thats good to know..I`m guessing I can buy the soft ware the same place I get the card?......Thanks for your help Burns!..It`s very much appreciated!...........Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• BrentR
    BrentR

If you can use wireless ISP's like ClearWire, etc. then that would be beter then satellite. In Western WA we get very few thunderstorms and the heavy rain clouds pass out the dish line of sight in minutes.

I would go insane if I had to use the web now with dial-up. It still takes way too long to upload videos and some larger pics with cable DSL I hope you get broadband of some type real soon.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS..Thats good to know..I`m guessing I can buy the soft ware the same place I get the card?......Thanks for your help Burns!..It`s very much appreciated!........... ...OUTLAW

It comes with the card from the wireless provider. They provide it. BTS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Brentr..Thanks for the info!..Yes,I`m going to have to do something..This service is veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy ssssssslllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwww!..LOL!!.......Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit