How to not get disfellowshipped even though you do not believe anymore

by BonaFide 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

This has been working for me well in talking with family and friends about "the truth."

1. Before you bring up a topic, talk about how we are allowed to ask questions, and we are encouraged to do so. I have tried saying, "One thing I like about the Organization is that it encourages us to use our minds, and we don't get into trouble for asking questions, the Organization loves questions like the ancient Bereans did.

2. Always phrase things in the form of a question. i.e. "I don't understand why we say that we are in a lifesaving work and that it is urgent. There are billions in the world not preached to such as China and India, and here in our territory, most people don't even know that Witnesses believe in Jesus. All of them will die at Armageddon. Unless Jehovah reads their hearts and he decides they are good, so then why the urgency? Why dp we say we are saving lives when Jehovah would make sure they would live anyway?"

So when they say, "Why are you talking like this, are you saying the preaching work is useless" you can answer, "Of course not, I am just asking questions, I like to learn."

3. Eventually thought, someone may ask you, especially if the discussion gets a little excited, "But do you believe this is Jehovah's Organization and that we have the truth?" The answer should always be YES. If you say no to that question, hello judicial committee and goodbye to helping family and friends. I have seen my family and friends breathe a sigh of relief when I say, "Of course its the truth. I just like to talk, and as Christians, we are supposed to examine our faith."

I know some here say that is dishonest, but it is the only way I can think of to help my family and friends. They will never speak to an apostate, we are supposed to not say hello. One of my friends that is an elder said to me, "You know, some are saying you are bringing up things against the Organization." I told him, "What upsets me the most is that I have been loyal to the Organization all my life, it hurts me so bad when people say this gossip. How can I stop it?" Then he proceeded to hem and haw about how we are not supposed to doubt Jehovah, and all questions will be answered, and that the most important thing is the Organization."

I know also that some say to just leave the lies and deceit, but I love my family, and I have a ton of friends that can still have children and have a life, I just want to help them.

BF

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

theocratic warfare strategy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, that's the theocratic way;)

S

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I think it is beautifully played. By flattering the Organization (or your companion) first, that is the ONLY way to keep the defenses down.

Bravo.

Love,
    Baba.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Most of my Witness relatives and many Witness acquaintances were my enemies, waiting for an opportunity to prove it. I wouldn't piss on one of em if they were on fire.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I would love to have a conversation like this with my parents and siblings, but that darn shunning thing keeps getting in the way.

lisa

• blondie
    blondie

Shortly after the "apostate" era, the WTS applied Acts 17:10,11 this way, the only time it has.

*** w81 2/15 pp. 18-19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible? ***How shall we view the spiritual food provided by this "faithful and discreet slave"? Should it be viewed critically—‘Oh, well, it might be true but then again it might not be and so we have to scrutinize it very critically’? Some apparently have felt that way about it. To support their way of thinking they have quoted Acts 17:11, which says of newly interested persons at Beroea: "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so."

But does this mean that those Beroeans were looking for flaws in the message they were hearing, or that their attitude was one of doubting? Does this set a precedent for regarding critically the publications brought forth by the "faithful and discreet slave," with a view to finding fault? Not at all!

First of all, let us note the setting of the statement about the noble-minded Beroeans. Paul, accompanied by Silas, was on his second missionary tour. Due to persecution that arose, the brothers at Thessalonica sent them on to Beroea. In Beroea they met sincere Jews who had strong faith in God’s Word. These were not Christians yet. They were simply interested persons who had to satisfy themselves that what Paul was telling them had the support of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Up to this time, these devout Jews in Beroea may never have heard of Jesus Christ. What Paul was telling them was entirelynew. So those noble-minded Jews in Beroea searched the Scriptures daily to make certain that the references that Paul gave were really part of God’s Word. And with what mental attitude did they pursue their studies? With a skeptical attitude, trying to prove Paul wrong? No, they were altogether unlike Paul’s critics on Mars Hill, for we read that they heard Paul’s testimony with "the greatest eagerness of mind."—Acts 17:11, 32.

These Beroeans listened with a readiness, yes, an eagerness, to believe. Thus not only were they open-minded, but they were wanting to have this "good news" proved true. In fact, for a person to acquire faith he must have "the will to believe." If he is determined not to believe, then no amount of evidence will convince him; for if a person looks for them he can always find excuses, plausible reasons for not accepting the accountability that belief will bring upon him. As the apostle Paul well said: "Faith is not a possession of all people." (2 Thess. 3:2) But the Beroeans had the will to believe. They considered what they heard with a receptive frame of mind. As a result, "many of them became believers, and so did not a few of the reputable Greek women and of the men."—Acts 17:12.

Jesus’ disciples wrote many letters to Christian congregations, to persons who were already in "the way of the truth." (2 Pet. 2:2) But nowhere do we read that those brothers first, in a skeptical frame of mind, checked the Scriptures to make certain that those letters had Scriptural backing, that the writers really knew what they were talking about.

OUR

VIEWOFTHE"SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using. At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

True, the brothers preparing these publications are not infallible. Their writings are not inspired as are those of Paul and the other Bible writers. (2 Tim. 3:16) And so, at times, it has been necessary, as understanding became clearer, to correct views. (Prov. 4:18) However, this has resulted in a continual refining of the body of Bible-based truth to which Jehovah’s Witnesses subscribe. Over the years, as adjustments have been made to that body of truth, it has become ever more wonderful and applicable to our lives in these "last days." Bible commentators of Christendom are not inspired either. Despite their claims to great knowledge, they have failed to highlight even basic Bible truths—such as the coming Paradise earth, the importance of God’s name, and the condition of the dead.

Rather, the record that the "faithful and discreet slave" organization has made for the past more than 100 years forces us to the conclusion that Peter expressed when Jesus asked if his apostles also wanted to leave him, namely, "Whom shall we go away to?" (John 6:66-69) No question about it. We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the "faithful and discreet slave" organization.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Im all over this. I do this all the time. I just look for opportunities to talk, like the fact that the #4 was about witnesses not being false prophets. my friends dont go to my hall, so i'll bring up questions and say i heard them during this talk. im totally on board with you bonafide.

• Open mind
    Open mind

We are wolves Search & Rescue workers in "sheep's" clothing.

Keep up the good work.

And yes, you're right about any blatant, in-your-face "loyalty oath" questions. You've gotta pledge allegiance if you wanna stay in the persuasion game.

om

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I applaud you for not giving up on your friends and family. I have not given up, either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit