So, What Do They Cut Next?

by metatron 20 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

One obvious little perk-job that always was really redundant was District Overseer.

I never did see what these guys did that the COs were not already doing - except to show up and give a talk at the assembly.

So, if in fact COs get eliminated, or cut back to special pioneers, then I would suspect District Overseer goes the way of the flying dinosaurs as well.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I expect them to start by putting the KM in a locked file online, having the PO or other elder, print out a copy and then make photocopies for the congregation use. This could expand to later doing the same with the 'study edition' of the Watchtower. This would cut massive printing volumes, and sacrifice nothing in the public image area, since those mags would still be printed at HQ. BOE letters could be done the same way. And meeting invites also. All the costs get absorbed by the local brotherhood, and can be done easily nowadays with the copier technology without a lot of loss of ascetics.

Later, combining the Awake and Public Watchtower would be very feasible and probably on the drawing board IMO already. Perhaps the Public edition could become a quarterly also, reducing printing cost by 75% on that publication. Shelf life would increase in that way also. They could supplement with occasional 'mid-season' release of a brochure, that also would keep a long shelf life being undated.

I expect them to create more 'witnessing' with tracts, creating entire periods in which the Public magazines have smaller circulations. Tracts are far less costly and JW's are getting lazy and tired of the preaching. The 'witnessing work' is primarily for the JW's anyway IMO, in keeps them convinced they are doing a vital work, and tied into the Watchtower organization.

Later, the 32 page Public Edition could become a 'streamlined' 16 pager, thereby cutting 50% more on the paper and ink cost.

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

One obvious little perk-job that always was really redundant was District Overseer.

I never did see what these guys did that the COs were not already doing - except to show up and give a talk at the assembly.

Actually, james, the DO was there to keep an eye on the COs.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

having read the whole thread I agree that DO could be cut. COs can still be checked upon by the Branch

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Actually, james, the DO was there to keep an eye on the COs.

I know, Blondie - at least that was the idea. But, in the whole time I went to JW meetings - a little over 18 years - I only saw a DO show up at one of my congregations in persons once - for one week. Nobody could explain what they were actually doing the rest of the time.

I kind of had the idea that this was like one of those semi-retired executive CEO jobs where you have a desk, secretary, and marked parking place - but you only have to actually show up and the corporate meeting, or maybe at the executive retreat once a year or so.

True story on a DO - he parked his trailer at my dad's house in about 1968. (we had a complete trailer hook-up like an RV park)

He wanted air shocks for his big Olds 98 to make pulling the trailer easier. My dad bought a set, and it became my job to crawl under the Olds and put them on. As I live and breathe - the guy calls me out from under his car, while I am putting on his shocks, and asks me if I could just sweep the pool first, as he and his 14 year old grandson wanted to take a nice swim. I told him that I would start the pump and hook up the sweeper, but that I thought it would be good training for the grandson to walk around and sweep it. He was a little grumpy about it, but said OK. I went back and finished putting on the air shocks while they had their pool party.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I say they ought to cut the whole religion altogether.

• sadfox
    sadfox

I heard they are combining the bookstudy and school/service meeting so that there will only be on weeknight meeting and that they are shortening the public talk to 30 minutes all starting in January

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

sadfox:

I heard they are combining the bookstudy and school/service meeting so that there will only be on weeknight meeting and that they are shortening the public talk to 30 minutes all starting in January

I had to check the date of the post/thread to make sure I wasn't reading a resurrected thread. Little behind on the WTSnews Sadfox? Or just playing? Snakes ()

• sir82
    sir82

I heard they reduced district conventions from 8 days to 3!

• free2beme
    free2beme

I would have no doubt that it would be cheaper to send the printing to an outside source overseas. Child labor is cheap in China, what can I say ... it is true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit