Specific TV, Film, Music or Computer Game references deemed inappropriate?

by veen 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 63 15th Feb pp107-108

Walking with God

Walking with God also requires us to be organization-minded in our reading habits. God’s visible channel provides us with ever so much reading matter, all of which should be a MUST for Christians.

Some imagine they do not have time to read through each issue of TheWatchtower, yet the president and vice-president of the Watch Tower Society do. Are you busier or do you have more important work than they do?

Or is it a matter of selectivity?

Are we wasting time reading other things or watching television when we could be buying out the opportune time reading TheWatchtower?

• iceguy
    iceguy

Dinah...I could never understand why they did not like "Sympathy for the Devil". The song is not promoting the Devil as something good. It lyrics are from the Devils point of view and admiting he was behind all the bad things in history mentioned in the song. They should put it in the kingdom melodies song book.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Gerritt Losch specifically mentioned "The Lord of the Rings,"..........and "The X-Files" as being inapporpriate for Christians.

How dare he? If I (and superdub,but still L of R & X Files fan, wife) had been there I am sure we would have walked out !

Anway, There were definately several references to "Dallas" as being unsuitable - funny how the c/d rom index fails to find them???

These are fair game though :

g81 2/8

The director of New York State’s Division of Substance Abuse
    Services recently called for a tax on rock music stars whose songs encourage drug use. “We are developing a legislative proposal that will tax every musician who makes money on recordings that suggest drug use,” he declared. The official cited such entertainers as Paul Simon, whose “One Trick Pony” is said to be about youthful marijuana smoking; the Rolling Stones for the song “Sister Morphine” and others; and the Grateful Dead for songs that glorify cocaine. “These groups make millions of dollars on songs that are inducing young kids to get high on drugs,” he complained. “The state doesn’t get any of the profits, but I have to deal with the casualties.”

g 93 12/8

Consequently, broadcasters admit the possibility that over a period of time, viewing the portrayal of violence on television may have “a desensitising or trivialising effect particularly on children,” whatever their age. This can make them less sensitive to engaging in violence themselves or make them calloused when it is inflicted on others.

The “Bugs Bunny” or “Tom and Jerry” addict, who may have first seen those characters years ago on the movie screen, may now be a parent and can, at the touch of a button, tune the TV in to their modern antics. But standards have changed. With their children in mind, parents will surely seek to monitor the content of cartoons shown today.

Take the case of the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.” These American film characters were considered too violent for many transatlantic audiences. Consequently, before showing the spin-off cartoon series in Britain, the BBC cut out some scenes. It even deleted the word “Ninja” because that refers to Japanese warriors. Instead, it called them “Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

• dinah
    dinah

Does that mean that if I watch Wile E. Coyote, chase the Roadrunner and constantly hurt himself I am doomed to repeat his mistakes??

Why oh Why didn't I listen to the GB's warnings. The top of my head is now perfectly flat because of all those boulders landing on it.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Can someone who plays games like DungeonsandDragons be following this Bible counsel?—

How ironic that the inventor of the game was a JW at one time.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember both Seinfeld and Star Wars being mentioned at the same circuit assembly once. Seinfeld because of the infamous masturbation episode, and Star Wars, because the force supposedly represented demonism.

• james_woods
    james_woods

In the olden days, the "Exorcist" and "Rosemary's Baby" got pummeled every time movie entertainment came up.

I took a JW girl to see THX-1138 (it was a sci-fi movie about a mind-controlled future society)...Donald Pleasance and Robert Duvall got arrested by the chrome-faced robots for "drug evasion"...seems they weren't taking their meds as ordered by the governing body.

Sister Brenda got up and walked out during the one brief nekkid scene. Her loss - I stayed and got to see the climactic tunnel chase between the McLaren turbo-car and the robot police bike.

She was pretty pizsed off after cooling heels in the lobby for about 40 minutes or so. I had to move on to JW art-student Denise after that one.

As I recall, "Vanishing Point" also made the list for gratuitous car violence, drugs, and mild toplessness.

Now, the reality check - all the young pioneer guys I knew went to see everything that looked the slightest bit edgy. One of them actually got photographed by the Okla City Times standing in line for "Last Tango in Paris". He had to sweat that one out for a week or so. Another big favorite with the pioneer JW dubs was the vampire movie "Rabid" featuring Marilyn Chambers.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I found it ! "Dallas"...BTW we still watched it.

g82 4/22 p. 30 Watching the World *

**A popular American television series that features sex and treachery recently began airing in South Africa, prompting the news headline: "Dallas Turns Lounge Into Brothel."DieVaderland reported that "meetings are cut short and visits cancelled all because of Dallas." The newspaper quoted a member of Action Moral Standards as saying: "We in South Africa are facing a huge social problem, with a rape every three minutes, and in Dallas it is presented as something normal. It can cause a sick person to feel that it is normal and that he can do it too. . . . The people must wake up. The SABC [South African Broadcasting Corporation] is turning our lounges into brothels

* g82 9/22 p. 28 From Our Readers ***

Thank you for the item in "Watching the World" (April 22, 1982) on the TV show "Dallas." A few months ago I was shocked to hear that a number of brothers and sisters from my own congregation watch this show. Perhaps reading the item "Dallas Turns Lounge Into Brothel," from the South African newspaper will jar them to their senses.

C. M., Canada

For over a year I have declined to watch the television series "Dallas," leaving the room whilst the transmission is received at my lodgings. Your comment greatly encouraged my stand.

D. L., England

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit