If the Internet wasn't around, what direction would your life have taken?

by truthseeker 12 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I sometimes think about what would have happened if the Web hadn't been invented yet. What would I have done?

Would I have ever learnt the truth about "the truth"?

Have you ever wondered this?

Personally, I would have been of the "where else can we go" crowd, and despite being thoroughly miserable with the "troof" I would have stuck with it.

• yknot
    yknot

Nope, I would still be "waiting on Jehovah".

I would be very very stressed and miserable by these restrictions too.

Reformist hate, hate, hate clampdowns!

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I would never have known the truth about the "truth'. I have the internet to thank for that, and it shows why the WTS hates the internet.

• LisaAnn
    LisaAnn

The scales on my eyes fell off in 1987, before I was really on the internet. But I thought I was the only underground dub in the whole organization!! It really would have helped me adapt if I had been part of a community. I felt so incredibly, unbelievably alone.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

I would have still been out, but far more bitter. I wouldn't have found out that what I thought was just some local elder problems was actually worldwide, and a sign of systemic failure.

• LDH
    LDH

Well truthfully, no different.

In about 1993 my sister sent me some 'apostate' literature to tell me about the 'truth' ... I remember a couple of articles in particular about the Society's not so truthful past about dealing with black JWs. At the time, I barely read it. Later, many years later, like 7 or 8, after I had already left the JW, I saw those same articles online.

When I came across them again, I read them with much greater interest but I had already left, due to how the JW organization treats human beings, not doctrinal issues.

I suspect you will get two different answers; some the same as mine. Others, who left because of doctrinal issues they found out about while researching on the internet.

There's no doubt how much a role the net has played in their leaving the 'truth.'

• berylblue
    berylblue

No internet? For someone who has no life, that's unthinkable. Probably still be DFed for smoking and caring that I was. And having a lot of sex.

• milliemootoo
    milliemootoo

I would have still Da'd but would be living in fear that any day Armagedon would come, praise the internet :-)

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Uneducated,uninsured, trailer living, bucktoothed, childless, meeting going, door thumping, talk giving, assembly going, submissive fool!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I effectively walked out in 2005 (though the process began in 1996) because I got tired of their telling me to just meet men (no Internet needed for that). I realized that, if all I was ever going to get was other men, that I would be miserable in the New Dark Ages anyways and would be better off out. And I did not have Internet access at the time I joined the "secret" society that the washtowel was warning me against.

It was that "secret" society that suggested that I get a computer, if only so I could have independent sources to verify things and more fully integrate my thinking. And it was only then that I went and ordered one, and got online. After it was too late for the witlesses.

However, I would not have had the opportunity to get others to stumble out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit